ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ok, so I blew the launch. The driver of the 5.0 Cobra gave me no indication that he wanted to race, but all of a sudden he was already 2 car lengths ahead of me. Then I slammed down the pedal to the floorboard and was gaining on him, my engine winding out over 6,500 in every gear. He had a only a 1/2 car length on me about 300 yards after the light unfortunately the 2 lanes pulled into 1 so I had to let him take the lane. **** it. Once I get the 3.90 this sorta thing just won't happen!
Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>It really is a shame.....</b>

Steve,

I hate it when those guy's sneak away from the light... I think you could have taken him if there would have been alittle communication.

So... when is the 3.90 going in??? this weekend or next?

It would be a bummer for this same kind of thing to happen again....

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
On the 7th day, GOD created the TURBO!

There use to be some punk high school kid where I lived that drove a hopped up Cobra that he thought was the ****. I was driving around with a buddy and I saw the Cobra ahead. He must have seen me because he pulled into a shopping center and waited for me. As soon as I got close he pulled out going about 10mph. Well, can't ever say no, so I slowed down until we were side by side. I let him hit the hammer before I took off. I spanked the **** out of that Cobra and what I remember the most was the passenger in his car had his mouth wide open when I pulled away. Sorry to hear your lose. You could have whipped him if only you knew he wanted to race. Good luck next time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've done worse

A few days ago, I pulled up next to a 5.0 with all sorts of headlight blackouts etc and indicated that I wanted to race. I nailed the takeoff, he screwed his up. After that, he caught me! I later found out that he was highly modified with about 350 HP. He didn't get more than a length on me... not too bad for a 22 year old car with 180000 miles on it's never rebuilt engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious what type of Z you have. my 280zx (I know its the slowass model) gets killed by everything. even little economy cars. is there somethin i could do to get more lowend torque? I get killed off the line everytime.

-Jeff

·
Registered
355 Posts
Jeff,
Is yours an Auto or 5 speed, do you ahve 3.54 or the 3.90? If you have 3:54 and put that 3.90 Not many vehicles will beat you off the line. Just tune your car up, put hot spark plugs and a few cheap mods that will give you a tad of performance that you want or do like Chris B. or 240Turbo and build A giant Turbo or N/A and BE the Big dog of your block. It's all up to how much money you got..

Dustin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those **** ShitStangs gotta be sneaky to win. Taking off like a pansy with out provocation. I HATE that.

Jeff, you shouldnt be too hard on your ZX. I know alot of guys here have the older faster Zs, but its not like you cant make the ZX go faster. Look at Chris Benheys 280ZX. I killed an NSX of the line for godssakes! Now that makes him my Z hero! Until I can get the drivetrain of mine to do that kind of thing, I will settle for blowing away Mustang GTs by the score!

Z ya
Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Jeff

I have a pretty stock l28, except for the flattop pistons, k&N intake system, 2.25" exhaust with just a glasspack and a monza tip, some massaging in the ports, and of course my VR is several hundred pounds lighter than a 240.

<A HREF=http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car>Check out my website</A>

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
RE: On the 7th day, GOD created the TURBO!

...and on the 8th, Nitrous Oxide Staged Fogger Systems...

·
Registered
21 Posts
dustin, my car is a 5 speed, and the differential has a little 3.9 on it so i think thats what it is. The car pulls great at about 3500rpm, but below that it just doesnt have much there. that might have something to do with my exhaust. theres not really anything there after the catalytic converter due to a little ground clearance problem..ahem... and god only knows if that converter is clogged or not. it looks pretty original. I think I'm gonna get the catback targa system from Motorsports real soon. I also think I need to change the oxygen sensor because i dont think its ever been done. my plugs are burning really white, to tell u the truth im not exactially sure what that means. good, bad? could putting bigger injectors help at all? I'm on a kinda tiny budget being a teenager and all so for now i cant get into any porting or other internal mods.
-Jeff

·
Registered
355 Posts
Jeff,
I know what having no cash is like, I am also a teenager, except I work a ton. Just tune your setup and you can get some power from your engine.

Dustin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.