ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you plugged a coil pack connector in backwards? I know the answer, just wondering if anyone knows the answer.

As our connectors get older, they tend to break and if you loose the orientation tab, you need to make sure it is plugged in the right way.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Not really sure it matters? Just a connection to a coil -- for most applications reverse polarization doesn't cause damage. Only an issue for things like speaker coils and directional solenoids.

Maybe I'm missing something in this reasoning ? but thats my 2 cents for now....

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Don't do things on the Z in a hurry?...

OR

Buy a Honda, they don't have these stupidly complicated engines to mess with?

;-)

LOL

Post Edited (Jan 27, 6:57pm)

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here is what happens, I plugged the #6 coil pack in backwards because there was no tab on the connetor (would plug either way). The car started, ran rough and blew alot of blue/white smoke, then died on it's own.

Tried to restart and nothing.... Turned out, the PTU was fried. Replaced and found the coilpack too hot to touch and had alot of melted plastic around it.

While troubleshooting, I left the ignition on, all of a sudden, thick white smoke billowed from the #6 coilpack. It was glowing red and melting!

While replacing the coilpack I noticed the red wire was on the right instead of the left like the others.

I turned the connector around and now she runs perfect.

Just thought I would share what can happen.

Post Edited (Jan 27, 7:06pm)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Hmmm - maybe they have one side of the pack going to ground (as part of electrical noise shielding?). I'll have to look at one more closely next time I get a chance.

Good thing to know tho!......

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
so did you have to replace the PTU also??? could this possibly be what the dumbass shop did to kill my PTU then charge me for a new one?? they didn't replace any connectors, but if they just did it really quick could that have killed the ptu and not hurt the connector??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.