ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got an '81zx and restoring it slowly but surely. i've been through 2 engines. good, strong engines, the car's a rocket, when it runs. keep my foot out of it??? not a chance. can anybody do my z-car justice????

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: can anybody build fast,reliable,afordable e

What type of problems are you having with the engines that you have been through 2 of them?

·
Registered
996 Posts
RE: can anybody build fast,reliable,afordable engi

Well the answer to your question is yes, but it depends on how you take care of it and how streetable you want it to be, as well as how fat your pockets are.

Z engines are pretty tough, especially when maintained and not overreved, over boosted when using stock internals. They have limits, any engine does give me $8000 dollar Rebello engine, an awesome motor with exceptional quality, and how long the motor last is up to me. I mean I could start it in the driveway and and blow it up in 10 seconds if I want to, or I can use it within the standards it is built to and it will last as long as the rest of my drivetrain.

So just decide on a few things before you take on what can be a very rewarding experience:
1. What are you doing to break the engines now?
2. How much power and drivability do you want?
3. How much time and money?

Then look for an engine builder how has a long history and a liking to the Z engines. The builder should want to know the answers to these questions.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>No such animal as fast, reliable, and AFFORDABL

In my research you get what you pay for, fast and reliable do not go hand in hand with affordable when you talk about a Z engine.
Zya Travis 77z

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
RE: can anybody build fast,reliable,afordable engi

Fast, Reliable, Affordable????????????

Your kidding right? Speed is money, and fast don't last. If it's reliable it probably won't be fast enough for you. If it's cheap it certainly won't be *fast*, and if it's fast it won't be cheap or reliable. It's a bummer but it's pretty much the way it is with any motor. I've built some "quick" sm block chevies that were cheap, but I had to smile and cross my fingers everytime I launched off the starting line. I got lucky allot! L-28s are motors too, and they will put out what is put in.

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.