ZCar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Brochungo and I’m new to the board. I recently got a 1982 280zx for a decent price, the previous owner told me that it: had a new battery, new spark plugs, needed gas, and that the car was flooded when it drove in Seattle.

I got gas, new spark plugs (haven’t installed them because I didn’t want them to go bad like the other ones), as well as a new battery since the previous one was bad.

I currently can get it to crank, but it won’t go any further. Here’s a video for reference:
September 26, 2021

Please help me! :c

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Can you be more specific on the issues? I am unable to view the video at the current moment. Is your car a turbo or NA?
I'm not sure about the flooding issue, but chances are you may have some other issues as well.

How long has the car been sitting? You probably have a fuel delivery issue or ignition spark issue. Check here for reference on everything 280zx:

www.xenonzcar.com S130 section

Bon

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,269 Posts
A note: go ahead and install the plugs. Flooding doesn't hurt plugs, but you don't know that the previous owner installed the right plug or gapped them correctly. Changing them is about a 15 minute job. Being flooded won't hurt the new ones, and you'll know you have good plugs that are gapped correctly.

Your video does confirm that the car cranks, but that's all. It does sound like the battery is healthy, as it turned well.

Pull a spark plug wire AT THE CAP, not the plug end. Then you won't get shocked. Hold the end of the wire just outside the terminal on the cap and see if a spark jumps when cranking. If not, try the same thing with the coil wire (pull it at the coil, not the cap.)

My bet is that you'll have no spark.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Hello! My name is Brochungo and I’m new to the board. I recently got a 1982 280zx for a decent price, the previous owner told me that it: had a new battery, new spark plugs, needed gas, and that the car was flooded when it drove in Seattle.

I got gas, new spark plugs (haven’t installed them because I didn’t want them to go bad like the other ones), as well as a new battery since the previous one was bad.

I currently can get it to crank, but it won’t go any further. Here’s a video for reference:
September2 26, 2021

Dear sir I've owned all kind of 280Z 77 78 79 80 81 I've on 38283 I've had the same problem out of a 25 25th anniversary black and gray t-tops 5-speed I can tell you what your issue is take the pickup tube out the gas tank fuel pickup tube is not allowing fuel to get to the motor other than star check the fuel pressure if it's not above 95 pounds of pressure fuel pump needs replacing it's outside the tank your pickup tube is Rusted I'll bet you a dollar

September 26, 2021

As I've just watched the video and battery is good you're not getting any fire and you're not getting any fuel check the pickup tube in the gas tank I'll bet you the gas tank full of rust and maybe water replace the fuel pump and then you've got problems that's probably got water and rust in the injectors but the distributor is not placing any fire to the motor whatsoever check the solenoid on the starter but it is in the distributor for fire it is in the fuel tank or fuel pump or fuel I know I've owned about 12 of these cars and I currently own a 1987 200SX SE it has the 3.0 V6 just like a 300Z 5-speed California car bought in Lancaster California August 26th 1986 it has 94000 original miles I'm the second owner the first owner died and his wife sold me the car for $500 I had to take a little time and getting it together but I took it and cut it loose on I-20 I run 72 miles in 26 minutes you do the math on how fast the car will run I broke the speedometer after 126 miles an hour and I hadn't even went to fifth gear yet no it was not a turbo it's a wild cat!😤😎

And my 200SX is for sale for $4,000 cash cuz it's in excellent condition

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,269 Posts
If it's flooding, and you have confirmed that by pulling a spark plug and checking for gas on it, then it's not fuel as suggested above. Make sure to confirm that it's actually flooding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's flooding, and you have confirmed that by pulling a spark plug and checking for gas on it, then it's not fuel as suggested above. Make sure to confirm that it's actually flooding.
Update:

As pilgrim suggested, I checked the spark with the distributor cap and spark did jump from the cap to the wire. I also changed the spark plugs and they were gapped at .034 so the previous owner didn’t gap them at all, also got a picture of them:
Hand Household hardware Automotive tire Finger Nickel

As for the new spark plugs, I gapped them at .040

·
Banned
14 Posts
Update:

As pilgrim suggested, I checked the spark with the distributor cap and spark did jump from the cap to the wire. I also changed the spark plugs and they were gapped at .034 so the previous owner didn’t gap them at all, also got a picture of them: View attachment 109469

Update:

As pilgrim suggested, I checked the spark with the distributor cap and spark did jump from the cap to the wire. I also changed the spark plugs and they were gapped at .034 so the previous owner didn’t gap them at all, also got a picture of them: View attachment 109469

Dear Sir you did good and gather them at 40 but I would have went to 41 looking at the plug the black tells me it's running too rich meaning that the fuel system needs to be cut back and are added if I can put my hands on the car I could have it running and less than an hour where you located at

·
Banned
14 Posts
Those are dirty plugs, indicating they're running too rich. If they smell like gas, you know it's not lacking fuel.
This is radar again as I've said the plug is gassed out less gas and more air as I have listen to this video looking at the plugs you're getting gas you have got a firing problem the engine is not placing the fire to the distributor from the distributor to coil but you are not getting any fire to that engine it would run as smooth as a kitty cat I'm on too many of these cars your car has been in water and if that so you've got electrical boxes that are not allowing fire to go to the distributor nor will it make it to the spark plugs now you got to track the firing order from the plugs to the distributor then find firing boxes that runs fire through the electrical system to that distributor I'm not badly mistaken they are in the floorboard of the inside the car under the driver seat under the passenger seat or either under the glove box on the right hand side kick panel or either over where the fuse box is at on the driver side but you're having problem with the fire you're getting gas cuz the plugs are gassed out that's why they're so black and as I've got the Bible to these cars if you decide that you tired of that car I want you to give me a call 256 553 3223 radar!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, it’s been awhile. Quick update: I cleaned the fuel lines with Heet with did the job for getting fuel, now the thing is timing, and as a new comer in both the Datsun and car community, I have no idea what I’m doing. c:

I also forgot to mention this but I’m around Lynnwood, Washington

1 - 11 of 11 Posts