ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '75 280Z which is showing excessive outer edge tire wear on both back tires. I have been informed that I have too much positive camber and need some negative. The problem is, without some suspension modification, this is not correctable with the current stock control arms. I have been presented two possible choices to correct this problem. One choice is, purchase a custom made adjustable control arm, which is very expensive. Second choice is, purchase a much less costly camber adjustment kit from MSA catalog (pg 65). Does anyone have info about this problem/subject that could help me make the right choice at the least cost to fix it right. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
You could just put performance lowering springs on it and maybe some new struts. Lowering will add negative camber and also improve handling. That costly camber kit isn't really that costly but also doesn't work all that well, nor hold adjustment.

If your suspension is stock springs and struts then the tires should sit flat. Have you inspected the different pieces to be sure everything is still in working order?

Matt

·
Registered
169 Posts
Installing the eccentri bushings on the inner link of the front control arms will be the easier fix. However, you may considering lowering the car a few inches which will also give you some negative. Of course, you'd have to lower both ends. Car would look better and handle better too.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
ITS racer

What have your experiences been with the camber bushings in the rear? I thought about using some but heard they don't hold adjustment very well and also don't have enough range for camber and are really only useful for setting toe. That is just hearsay I've been looking for some experienced answers.

Matt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: ITS racer

My 260z ITS has the eccentric bushings on the front mounting point of the rear suspension arms. They do not do much for camber. They are more useful for toe adjustments. I have more toe-in on the rear adjusted in with these. To get them to stay in the correct alignment I drilled a hole through the susp mount and the bushing and threaded a very short screew into it. This keeps the bushing from rotating in the mount.

GTI, I find it hard to believe that you have a POSITIVE camber problem. Excess camber does not usually cause a tire to wear on the edge (unless you have an extreme amount of camber - enough that it would be obvious by just looking at the car/ wheel setting on the road). Excess camber would be a gradual wear across the whole face of the tire from one edge to the other, not just the edge. It sounds more like an excessive toe-in problem. Are your rear susp mounts secure? What is the toe measurement on the rear?

Just something else to consider.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: ITS racer

generally, not very good as they are hard to adjust and open up many variables for toe problems. A good set of delrin works if you use the adj. camber plates up above.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Late but not forgotten...

My $.02 is that there may be a excess TOE-IN problem.

I had 3/4" rear toe-in on my stock 260Z and it wore rear tires down like crazy. Believe problem was due to factory misalignment of rear hub - the axle shaft did not appear to be perpendicular to the notorious spindle pin. Corrected by

I HATED the adjustable camber bushings I got from MSA (street use). They clunked and shimmied terrible. Even tried to fill in the excess clearance between the delrin and the control arm shaft with shim stock. Finally went back to solid non-adjust poly bushings. Corrected rear to about 1/4" rear toe by shortening the rear brace (behind the diff) and slotting the "L" bracket holes where they bolt to the chassis. MUCH, MUCH better! Handling and rear tire wear!

Later,
Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.