ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired an E31 head that I am planning on building up, however the cam towers had been taken off by the 1st owner. I have heard that the towers are line bored and should not be removed. Is the head shot or can a machine shop re-align the towers?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mount the cam towers in order loosely on the head. Lube and install the camshaft. Bit by bit tighten the towers checking that the camshaft will turn, you may have to bump towers if the cam binds. I think the torque spec is between 10 and 15 ft.lb. Don't overtighten or you'll pull the threads out. Also confirm that the head is straight or the cam will bind no matter what you do to the towers. I ran across instructions somewhere while surfing you might try that.Hope this helps. Zya later

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's 10 ft pounds but if you want to be safe use an inch pound torque wrench. Set to 120 inch pounds it'll be far more accurate as it's **** tough to even get a foot pound torque wrench to start reading at 10 ft lbs. (Also very very handy if you want to properly torque the oil pan bolts properly to prevent leakage) An inch pound torque wrench is a valuable tool that quickly pays for it self (plus you can get one at home depot for ~50 bucks) Most aircraft torque specs are in inch pounds need I say more? Just multiply the torque value in foot pounds by 12 to convert and you're set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.