ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am going to have head work on my engine done and I can't seem to get the Cam sprocket off. My Chilitons is a little vague it just says,"unbolt sprocket and remove" HOW DO U DO that??

Dustin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
It's easy, remove the bolt and tap it towards the front of the car (chain still attached), it pops right off THEN remove the cam sprocket from the chain. 2 things, Make sure the chain is wedged in the timing chain cover so the bottom half does not come off the crank sprocket or the tensioner does not move, and make sure the engine is at top dead center on the compression stroke before you start.If you don't know what I mean by the wedge, post again. Do not start without the chain wedged in place.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand how to do all that BUT HOW DO I GET that BIG BOLT off with out turning the CAM and CRANK??

Dustin

·
Registered
179 Posts
Back off the cam sprocket bolt a few turns and tap the front of the bolt with a dead blow hammer. That should unstick it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Cam Sprocket removal problems....</b>

I know that it is not according to the book and in many cases it says specifically not to but a good sized offset box end wrench and a hefty hammer will loosen the bolt for the do it yourselfer that doesn't have an impact wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.