ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing both my CAM and crank seals, not sure if I have a problem or not? Noticed this on both the exhaust cams - take a look:

Both cams seem to have a faint wear line -- have others found this when doing their seals? I also notice what looks like some brown sludge lines just to the front and rear of where the shaft seal rests. I have done cleaning with both Gumout and WD-40 and that helped a somewhat.

Any other advice ? - is this normal for a car with 92k miles. Pretty sure the seals are original too!

PS - Didn't notice anything like this on the VTC cam shafts or the crank shaft

Post Edited (Jan 28, 3:14pm)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need to worry much about the brown sludge like stuff?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
It's normal for the cam seal to wear into the cam slightly. A standard trick, if the seal is too warn in, is to not seat the seal in the same spot. Just don't tap the seal in a far as the original seal when installing the new seal. That gives the seal a "new" surface to rub against. This is very common for front and rear crank shaft seals as well.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brown stuff I'm talking about seems to be some residue from oil (oil by products?) that has accumulated over time mostly in the rear of the seal on the one pictured.

The exhaust cam on the driver's side had this stuff on both sides of the seal lip. That cam had a small leak and the stuff was gunked in front as well as behind. I used a feeler guage (actually a red straw from wd-40) to see if I could feel anything or even scrape it away a bit. Didn't really have any impact -- seems like this stuff might be impregnated a bit into the surface of the cam?

Not planning to loose to much sleep over it -- just never did this kind of servicing before and figure those who may do more of it would have an idea or two.

PS -- Wasn't planning to go the emery cloth route, since things didn't seem that bad. More worried about doing damage for a repair that isn't needed.

Post Edited (Jan 28, 7:12pm)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As follow-up, this is what I did to address this issue:

Re-did the cleaning using a good amount of Gumout and a soft white rag. What brown gunk I couldn't get off, appeared to be some small rust spots. Used some naval jelly and a small paint brush -- that got the rest of it.

Then got out my micromesh polishing kit and used both 6000 and 8000 polishing cloths to buff everything nice and smooth. I would guess that wet 1500 grit paper would have done fine as well - I just happened to have the polishing cloths.

Things came out so well on the passenger side that I pulled the new seal from the driver side exhaust and did the same thing just to be sure. Wanted to share so others have the details...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.