ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a mild cam (3000-6000 RPM Range) and i'm deciding if the cam is useful on the 280zx efi system. It probably is, but i also have questions if i should replace the springs, lashpads, and so on. Now i also wonder if I should but the cam kit for MSA, its a$$ expensive though, so i don't really want to. Is there a way than i can take to avoid having to purchase the MSA camkit? TIA

Emir

·
Registered
567 Posts
The only way you won't have to change your springs rockers and all is if you get a mild cam like the crane one ore the nissam motorsports hi performance cam. With those you can use stock assembly. With everything else you have to by a whole kit.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You can get your cam custom ground, check around at some of your local machine shops, as a rule if you change mating surfaces you should change all of them, pads and rockers, not essential with a milder cam but recomended.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any major cam manufacturer will sell you just the cam, as far as I know. I recomend Iskendarian or Web cams. Web has a great one for turbo motors. It's stock duration with an extra .05 or so lift, so you don't throw the boost out with the bathwater, so to speak. You should change the rockers and lash pads though, whether in a kit, or just buy some from the factory (pricey, though) The reason is that each one supposedly developes a unique wear pattern to the lobe it matches. That's fine as long as they stay together, but if you change cams it becomes too much stress. I guess two wear patterns are too much. If you keep it below six grand on the tach the springs won't be a problem. They don't bind that low.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put a mild cam in my 260Z a month or two ago. I have seen prices for new cams and my eyes nearly popped out. I paid $150 Australian (which I guess is equivalent to about $70-$80 US) for a change over, I gave them my cam and they gave me a reground 260Z cam. Then I paid another $160 to have the rockers reground and $160 for lash pads. And of course a couple of hours labour.
Runs great.
Monkeyman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.