ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calling experts!!Tuning advice

249 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Precision Engines 
#1 ·
Ok guys, new poster here at zcar, avid reader for a while.

I have an 88 300zx, turbo conversion. When i bought the car it had just been rebuilt, lowered compression to about 7:1, port polish,t30-super 60 etc. I already have the JWT ecu, 420cc injectors, cobra maf, im ordering the 255 walbro.

My question is, once i have the fuel pump in, will i need a dyno session to set a safe high boost level? I know the car 'should' support quite a bit but i have no experience tuning a turbo car. Will the guys at the dyno shop know what to do with my car and be able to make adjustments? Sorry if this has been asked and answered, i couldnt find anything when i searched.

My first Z was a 91 TT (auto) that i put a nice stereo in.
Times have changed and im trying to make this Z all it can be, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tim

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

Im familiar with the motor in the sense that i know it was rebuilt with the intention of high boost levels, and only has 8k. I forgot to add it has a spearco intercooler too.

I guess my question leans towards since every motor is different, and I would like the most (safely) that my motor can provide, would a dyno session be benificial? Like I said, Ive never tuned a turbo car, with a NA motor you just put it in the rollers and go!!

For my peace of mind, I would just like to know everything is ok at a certain psi.

Tim

#6 ·
The only way is to put it on a DYNO. You can damage you engine at any boost setting if other things, that can't be determined by reading this post, is wrong. Spend the money and have it tuned, then you don't have to worry at all, or ask people on this forum for answers they cannot give. Your spinning youre own wheels!

#8 ·
I can give you answers that won't blow your motor and may actually be helpfull. First off what you are looking for more than a dyno number is a reading from a wide band O2 sensore. Most dyno shops will have a wide band that will show you where your at with the dyno graph. Second off, if you did need to tune the fuel curve how whould you do so? A remaped ECM for JW should be fine, but if it did need fine tunning I would suggest looking into a AFC from APEXi. You should be able to pick one of these up on E-bay for dirt, if not I think I have one I took off a car that whent full standalone. Another thing, when doing hi boost settings I would suggest running race fuel of at least 100octain. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Alex C
AIM:boostmyride

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.