ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm getting close to laying down that first coat of primer on my car that I have been stripping down for the past year... What I want to know is, if I have an Aero II airdam and want to make sure of a good molded fit and paint surface as well as possibly wanting to weld the seam between the sugar scoops and the fenders... Should I paint the car with the fenders and airdam on the car and keep just the doors off for painting all the jambs. Or is it easier to paint it all off the car and then carefully put it back together praying I don't mar the new paint? I've been at it too long to mess it all up now so any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Jeremy.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Archives...

The "on car off car" debate was discussed within the last month.
Solid colors may be easier to match, but for metallics, I painte underneath first, then spray everything assembled.
With the proper spray pattern, the jambs can be done on the car no problem. It's the way they were done at the factory.
I pulled doors off the car ONCE to paint them, I will never do it again!
Same for sandblasting the entire engine compartment!

· Registered
25 Posts
I have just started stripping back my 280 and I have been reading a lot on painting, and I have painted a few cars where i have been in a similar situation to you. I would reccomend that you prime all parts off the car, see how you go, It should be okay to paint the parts on the car, Im not sure about the weld that you mention, between the scoops and fenders. I hope this is helpful, I know I'll be needing your's in a few months!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Well I think I will take advice from you both, Since I have already made the choice to remove the doors to shave the handles, I think I will be priming them off the car, then re assemble and shoot it all together.
Thanks again, Jeremy

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Thanks

When you say weld the airdam on to the fenders. Is this a metal airdam? I was under the impression that these were fibreglass or other type of plastic.

If they are plastic or fibreglass, you may have a bit of a problem trying to weld them in such a manner as to eliminate or make the seam invisible. The problem is that the materials both vibrate and expand/contract at different rates at different temperatures. I'm sure that if you did the old bondo / fibreglass type of seam, in a few months you would be seeing cracks.

Getting a seamless look between disimilar materials is tricky but not impossible. Just requires a little bit of "cheating".

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fiberglass Airdam, Metal Sugar Scoops

The Airdam is fiberglass and the sugarscoops are metal. I wanted to weld the metal scoops to the metal fenders and then attach the Airdam to the scoops with the E600 glue I got with the Airdam and also bolt it to the scoops. I just wanted a smooth finish and no air gaps.
Jeremy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.