ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys...I'm an amature at this boost gauge thing, as per someone's instruction, I tried hooking up the boost gauge hose to the boost sensor vacuum line. The gauge works BUT it's giving me a vacuum reading?! So I mess with other lines on the intake manifold and the ones I messed with where all sucking in air as well...where the heck am I supposed to hook this thing up? I don't want to make holes and I don't know where the vacuum sensor is that is supposed to send a reading to stock boost gauge. AAARGGGG HELP!

ratedZ

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Re: Call me a DA but I don't know where to hook up

This is normal. You should only register boost under acceleration. THe most with your foot floored and under load (ie. on the road and not in neutral).

Have you tried to drive the car and see what the gague reads?

Hope this helps,
Josh

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Actually no I didn't....I just had it hooked up to the vacuum sensor hose and revved the **** out of it and all I got was the vacuum reading. I was too pissed to even think about test driving it at the time. So what your telling me is that I had it hooked up right and I should test drive it? I'll go do that then and hope it works. Thanks.

ratedZ

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

Calm down and take her for a drive. When I rev my car I can only get the boost to 0 psi.....if I can remember right. But once on the road just let her rip and it should climb to about 6 psi. When I am slowing down like on the freeway or something, and let my foot completly off the throttle my boost actually drops down to the -7 on the stock gauge. Let me know what happens after the test drive.

Josh

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS!

I'll hook it all back up tonight because I took the gauge back out thinking I'd had to figure something out. I'll let you know what happense though. :) I'm already in a better mood lol.

ratedZ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: THANKS!

Yes, it would be normal for the engine to pull about 20in vac at idle and even more during deceleration. It should read 0 with the car turned off, since 0 on a guage like this represents barometeric pressure. If it does not read 0 with the car off (with fair weather conditions) then the guage needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOOHOO IT WORKS!

You where right on the money! I hooked everything back up and took her out for a drive. The gauge reads 7psi on the dot. Surprised to see that it's boosting 7 since the turbo is still the original. Thanks again!

ratedZ
83zxt

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Re: WOOHOO IT WORKS!

Rated,
Glad to hear everything is working a-ok. 7 psi is the max you will get with a stock setup. I have herd the turbo is good for something like 10-12 psi. But in order to get that high you have to modify the waste gate on the turbo and the blow off valve on the intake manifold.

It's weird how the turbo only makes boost when the engine in under load (as you found out), one would think it would make boost any time the gas is punched.

Anyways, where did you pick up the boost gauge at?, and for how much? Where do you plan on mounting it? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know because I plan on adding one some time soon.

Hapy boosting,
Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.