Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering due to all the responses on my question reguarding using the Toyota 4x4 calipers on my ZX. I was under the impression that the Z and the ZX used a very similar front brake setup including the same calipers, etc. Is this not the case? Are the ZX calipers decient then? They certianly seem to stop well, perhaps I am looking at doing something uneccessary then.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did not realize you had a ZX. Before you spend any money, get a set of steel braided brake hoses and a good set of pads. You might be pleased with what you have.

Scottie

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, they are different.

The Z calipers have a 'through hole', which means the mounting bolt passes through the caliper, and threads into the strut. The Z rotor is also much bigger than the ZX, and is a solid design rather than vented.

The ZX calipers are threaded, and the through hole is in the strut. Basically you mount the ZX calipers in the exact opposite way of the Z style. But, as you have discs on all 4 corners, and they are vented, you are in a much better position than the stock 240Z. I would concentrate on other areas for improvement, as I haven't found 280ZX braking really that inadequate.

Dave

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Scott,
The ZX caliper is definately different than the Z caliper. The 4X4 swap is only for Zs so don't waste your time trying it.

I think the ZX calipers are fine, and I have the rears on my V8 Z. You might just need to change the fluid and pads to a higher temp fluid and more aggressive pads. A lot of people don't realize the importance of swapping the fluid every two years.... Condensation and fluid molecular break down are key factors....
Good luck, and if you swap the rotors out, go with the gas slotted rotors!
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What 240Dave said is true, the ZX calipers mount differently than the Z calipers. In fact the caliper design is completely different.

The Z's all used a dual piston fixed caliper. It has a piston on each side of the rotor. The caliper is solidly bolted to the strut, and the pistons squeeze the pads from each side of the rotor.

The 280ZX's used a single piston floating (or sliding) caliper. It mounts in a fixed bracket and slides back and forth. It has one piston that pushes it's pad toward the rotor. This motion forces the caliper away from the rotor. That pulls the opposite side of the caliper toward the rotor, which has a pad mounted on it. Thus both pads squeeze form only one piston.

The designs vary greatly, and will not interchange.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actualy I always thought the braking on the ZX was extremly impressive, the only reason I was looking at it was because I was hearing everyone say that the Z's brakes where so light weight, I did not realize everyone meant the "Z" and not the "ZX". I really like the 4 wheel disc brakes. So there are specific pads that stop better than others? Is there any vented rotors that can be interchanged with the ZX? IE is there vented rotors off of another car that can be interchanged? or are they a buyable item? I definatly believe in vented rotors, and do not believe taking the stock rotors and having a machine shop drill them would be all that good. I would imagine they would warp quickly. But then again maybe not, has someone tried it?

Scott Milella

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: Do not drill them...

Call KVR Performance in Canada and order a new set of gas slotted rotors and Carbon Fiber "Sport" pads for the front and rear. Make sure you do all four corners. Then go to Pep Boys and get the Valvoline Synfluid Brake fluid (Gold Container- $4.99) and two sets of 10mmX1.0 Speed bleeds (In the Section with the HotRod stuff $14.99 per pair) and put on the new rotors and pads and install the Speed Bleeds and bleed the old fluid out. Next, drive the car easy for about 300-500 miles while the pads bed in. Once you have enough miles on them you can hammer them. But Break in is crutial or you will glaze the pads and throw your money away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.