Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have heard some of you mention the Toyota 4x4 Calipers work good on the front of the 280Z'z, I have a 82 280ZX 2+2, what would I need to do it? They bolt right on? There is no clearance problems? I also heard someone say they have 4 pistons? I have not seen a 4 piston design, how are they setup? 2 on each side of the rotor?

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Caliper questions</b>

There is a write up on how to do it here at http://zcar.com
I also believe there is a write up on how to do it at this location as well:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/

If not, the page is a terrific source for lots of good information anyway. As far as I know however this is only a Z (not a ZX) thing. But you can try. The calipers cost approx. $54 US @ AutoZone + $30 US core charge. Buy one, and if is doesn't work, return it. (It doesn't take much to remove and attach calipers.) Read how to do it from the ones who have tried it first, always best to from learn of others than your own. If it works let us know. I'm sure there are several ZX owners that would love to know.

Cheers,

Killjoy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go to www.zhome.com and look under the V8 upgrade section, you'll find an article by someone who put a ford V8 in his Z and put ZX brake calipers on it too. This is kind of working backwards, but if you read the brake portion, he goes into detail about why Z and ZX brakes don't interchange. I would definitly advise you read it before buying calipers. Sounds like the Toyota calipers would be alot of work to make fit. You can look at Mike's write-up on this page to see how the Z swap goes. You should be able to piece together the information you need, but it seems like the odds are against you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Toyota calipers DO NOT work on ZX

Toyota brakes don't work on ZX.

Danilo

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read the articles on the Toyota conversion for information, but take it from someone who has done it (71 240Z), it is a simple bolt on. Most difficult part is getting the short piece of metal brake line that goes in the caliper to line up with the Toyota caliper. You will actually have to bend it but it just takes patience. The caliper is much larger than the stock Z, so I would advise an additional mod. If the car is an early 240/260, you should also consider the next size booster from the 280 and the 15/16" master cylinder from the 280ZX. If the car is a 280, then use the 280 2+2 booster. This of course is a little more work but well worth the results.

Scottie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ZX brake advice Scottie?

I think Scott Milella is asking questions about the ZX since he says it's an 82. You definitely know you're stuff Scottie, but I juat didn't want him getting confused.
You said that he should be able to bolt on Toyota calipers easily, but they won't go on his car. I think this was just an oversight, but I'd hate to see him get set for a project that wouldn't work, or worse yet, turn into a nightmare of drilling, taping, and welding for a mild brake increase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.