ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved here about three weeks ago, and I don't know any of the salvages around here. Is there anything specializing in imports or mabee even something with a decent number of Z's??

Dylan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Calgary Pick Your Part, corner of glenmore and barlow trail S.E.

I was there this weekend, lots of Z's to choose from :( :) (depends on how you look at it)

Nearby there, is Buck$ auto parts, you'll see them on the way to pick your part, they're just off deerfoot, can't remember the address, just take heritage westbound, turn right at the second set of lights (there's a gas station on the corner) go up that road, you'll cross under glenmore, take a right, follow the road around, it turns into gravel in a little bit, look to your right, you'll see the parking lot.
Not as many Z's, but if you're a Jeep/AMC fan, so is the owner :)

I don't deal much with the other wreckers as they all seemed to have bent me over the pool table at one point or another (and they never even said thankyou!). A1 Mcknight up on 40th ave NE (I think) between center st and edmonton trail, is occasionally decent to deal with... (saturday afternoon stopping by, and mentioning you dont need a receipt is usually the only way I'll deal with them)

Welcome to calgary! (too bad I'm about to move!)

Andy

·
Registered
572 Posts
Karbashers on the Yellowhead Trail east of Edmonton usually has 8-10 Z's just in case you ever make the trip up to see a real hockey team! Ooops, can't say that anymore now that Jerome has figured out how to score.

There is also a Calgary ZCar club. Join and get 10% of Genuine Nissan parts and meet some great people who may also have parts you are looking for. You can probably find them on the web if you search hard enough - otherwise you can send me an email and I'll dig up some details from the guys at the Edmonton meeting in a few weeks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, I don't know if you are restoring your Z, or if its been in perfect condiotion all along:) but I'm trying to get my Z on the road again, there is alot of rust, it can be grinded out every except above the windsheild, I'm just wondering if you or anyone else knows what the best way to get rid of this is, should I get a new roof, or try and get someone to weld a piece in for me? Anyway if you see any good Z car's anywhere tell me about it cause I'm gonna need to find parts cheap !!
Thanx in advance!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yep i'm a Calgary kid whjo does alot of Z shopping. As mentioned earlier Pick your part and Bucks auto are the two best ones. Infact Right now i'm in the process of pulling off a cylinder head (N42) at calgary pick your part, i'm going to get it off tommorow, and if you take that head, i WIll hunt you down and kick your rear end! haha.Now i'm going to be at pick your part frequently these days due to me needing a new door, and i got a good deal on a paint job (sorry can't hook you boys up on a good deal there), my old driver side did not do too good after repairs. There is also te Z car club of Calgary, which is out of Brasso Nissan in the Calgary Auto Mall. Its a 30 dollar fee to join, but you get 20% off nissan parts. I'm planning on joining soon, but i need money hehe. The membership lasts for a year, and there are meetings and what not where information can be traded off. If you want to go junkyard hunting just let me know, I Also work at Canadian Tire Just off of Macleod Trail south, i'm in Auto Parts. Well If you want to contact me mail me at [email protected] I'm working this week thursday 6-9 friday 6-9 and saturday 9-6. By the way my name is Emir, I got an 81 280zx painted 2001 corvette yellow with a MSN aeor kit 2 on it. Hope to hear from you or any other Calgary Z entusiats.

-Emir

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, yeah I'm starting to do what you're doing, except my Z needs a whole new body basically well it needs ALOT of work. It's also a 81 280ZX mettalic blue, the paint is sweet but the rust isn't so I'm gonna need a new paint job! Why do you want a new paint job if you already got a sweet corvette yellow??? Do you drive your Z to work??? cause I've been by there a coulpe times and never saw your Z there. If you don't mind, about how much did your Z cost you, if you fixed it up yourself! I really want to get a kit for my car when I get it on the road, I'm gonna have to stop off sometime and take a look at yours. It sounds sweet!! Anyway you are my new best friend:) Someone in Calgary with the exact same Z as me who knows alot about them!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I actually live close to lots of people with these cars. Coming from Saskatchewan, it was almost me, myelf and I with these things. I hope to have mine on the road pronto, look for an '83 zx with fresh bright silver paint with airdam and a ratty interior, also custom pannels where the cab vents were behind the door glass. It stands out pretty good, but not as well as yellow with a full kit!!
Emir, I'll likely be going to the salvage this week, however, I work construction, so I'm being used from my neck down from 7 am to 5 pm all week, but I do have my weekends. We should meet up at bucks or pick a part this saturday before you go to work, and I should check out the local club!! I had no idea that there would be anythin local. Verry cool. Anyways, I'll e-mail ya sometime this week. I hope to meet all of you at some point or another.

Dylan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Dylan did you fix up your Z by yourself or did you buy it in decent condition, cause Mine has been sitting around for a ver ylong time 5-10 years and it wasn't running when it was parked and still isn't running, also the notorious rust! If you did your own restorations amybe you could give me some tips! Thanx

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually did the sandblasting, cutting and welding myself, but my car was not too far gone. It still was bad enough to get me creative with hammer and metal, but not unworthy of fixing. I had the same rust on the roofline, just sandblasted it, metal prep, primer, and glass to fill the little divits. Not the best fix, but hey, I'm nineteen and on a rather limited budjet. On the other hand, I did'nt do a complete resto on the body, so there will likely be some more junk to take care of with the frame, etc. down the road, hopefully not too soon. Whatever you do, don't use the flexible metal "fender fixers" and bondo. You may see a year of looking ok with that. all or nothing. Cut it out, buy or make a patch, and weld it in, completely sealed, then you are safe to smoothe with fill without moisture problems from behind making the hole bigger. This is the sort of thing that can't be rushed, but with a book and a ton of patience, anyone can do it (eccept if your car is not straight looking, then it becomes an art) Anyways, gotta go, talk to ya later man!

Dylan

·
Registered
572 Posts
Edmonton?

Am I the only Z guy in Edmonton with a computer or what? Anyone out there from Northern Alberta?

As for the previous post about cutting a roof - well you can but you will need to be very precise to ensure everything fits properly. I would worry a bit about the structural integrity of the car being compromised as it is a unibody. Why not use the opportunity to drop in a sunroof and just bead blast the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Edmonton?

Nope, you'll be joined by another sooner than later :)

I'm actually in calgary right now, but on the 29th I'm headed North! Way north! Ft. Mcmurray north (gah!) Hoping once I get up there and get settled I can start funding the building of a new ZX (I miss my old one to death). Now I just have to find a nice shell of 82/83 zxt 2+2 to build :)

BTW, if any of you calgary Z'ers see a rusted out almost beater-esque 81ZX w/ a black primer paintjob, nice 5spokes, do be careful if you decide to play with it... I sold it due to serious frame rot, I saw it doing some stoplight drags down macleod last week. Keep away! (Its got a 94 300zx twin turbo under the hood + NOS) Unless the new owner has fixed the frame (didn't look like it) it's a deathtrap (to driver and those nearby!)

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.