ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody. I have a question. I was reading a resto booksome time back and they made reference to getting a "Wrinkle Black" paint from Cal Custom. Who is Cal Custom? Where are they located? ANybody know?

THe book is "How to Restor You Datsun Z-Car" by Wick Humble.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It's actually Kal Kustoms

if they're who I'm thinking of. I used to airbrush heavily and these guys wrote articles in most of the trade mags. They did (do) great work-however, it seems they are locked into a particular style. If you've ever seen a custom truck with checkerboard graphics and wild and crazy stripes, they started that whole style. They also helped get House of Kolor off the ground and promoted that line of paints. I haven't been in the airbrush scene for a couple of years now and don't know if these guys are still around or what they're doing. Of course, it is kind of a generic name and the article could be referring to another company entirely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There was a Cal Custom that sold accessories similar to
Mr.Gasket, but I haven't seen any of their stuff in a
while-I think that Mr.Gasket might have bought them up.
I'm pretty sure that Plasti-Cote still makes a wrinkle paint.
A well stocked auto parts store should have it.It takes two things to do wrinkle right-a pristine surface and heat, preferably using an ELECTRIC oven, but heat lamps are much
safer.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Cal Custom was an outfit out of California (surprise) that sold pin stripe tape, window tinting, chrome accessories, engine paints and other easy to apply customizing options we all enjoyed in the 70's and 80's.

Wrinkle Paint is paint that "skins" quickly. As it dries this skin doesn't shrink in relation to the rest of the paint, and as a result the "skin" wrinkles.

You can get wrinkle paint from Eastbrook. Check out their catalog, in the Early Summer 2001 on page 10 item 10014Z

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kal Kustom is still in bizz,Located in Bakersfield CA. right off white ln. on So. H st. ask for Deon,and yes they do some good work,mostly flamezzz nowdays.Pep boyz will have the wrincle paint your looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.