ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Z family,

I am distraught to consider parting with my 1977 Z of 25 years.

Has anyone sold a late 70s Z car from CA that won't pass smog? Is this even an issue?

I'm recently settled here. The car still has out-of-state plates and has never been registered in CA. Smog systems were stripped off in FL years ago and it's hair-on-fire screaming fun. Although it may be the responsible thing to do, it sure doesn't seem productive to rebuild it to pass.

-Scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can sell it, just not to someone in CA unless they are going to make a race car out of it. Consider putting it on Bring A Trailer. Z's are getting top dollar there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Z family,

I am distraught to consider parting with my 1977 Z of 25 years.

Has anyone sold a late 70s Z car from CA that won't pass smog? Is this even an issue?

I'm recently settled here. The car still has out-of-state plates and has never been registered in CA. Smog systems were stripped off in FL years ago and it's hair-on-fire screaming fun. Although it may be the responsible thing to do, it sure doesn't seem productive to rebuild it to pass.

-Scott
did you sell it? post it for sale with good pictures here

·
Registered
249 Posts
Your best bet is to either sell it outside CA or buy a drive train and swap it so that it passes.

I've had a 79 for many years and have been waiting for CA to change it laws on older cars, but they stopped at 1975 cars.

Some of us used to swap parts just to pass smog, then swap back over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts