ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a rust free 280Z in California or Arizona and driving it back to Virginia (my 240Z rusted out years ago). Is a smogged California car different (more polution control) than a non-smogged 280Z? Do all 280Z year models have catalytic converters?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I'm planning on buying a rust free 280Z in
> California or Arizona and driving it back to
> Virginia (my 240Z rusted out years ago). Is
> a smogged California car different (more
> polution control) than a non-smogged 280Z?

Yes, the L28 in the 280Z has a smog air-pump and a few other goodies. You can rip them off though, and if you plug the holes there will be no bad affects. I ripped all that junk off my L28, and it ran exactly the same as it did before. Just about 25 pounds lighter! :)

> Do all 280Z year models have catalytic
> converters?

I don't know. Anybody else?

-rr

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Disagree on Smog Pump

I have a '77 California 280Z. It has a catalytic converter, a vacuum flow control regulator on the BPT valve, a BPT Valve, a PCV valve, and an EGR valve. That is it as far as pollution control devices are concerned. It runs strong. I don't see anything in my Nissan Service Manual that indicates that any of the '77 models had a smog pump. The catalytic converter, I believe, was only installed on California 280's until the ZX model came out in '79. All of them had the converter.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:No cat on my 79zx!

> I have a '77 California 280Z. It has a
> catalytic converter, a vacuum flow control
> regulator on the BPT valve, a BPT Valve, a
> PCV valve, and an EGR valve. That is it as
> far as pollution control devices are
> concerned. It runs strong. I don't see
> anything in my Nissan Service Manual that
> indicates that any of the '77 models had a
> smog pump. The catalytic converter, I
> believe, was only installed on California
> 280's until the ZX model came out in '79.
> All of them had the converter.
> Phantom
Not all zx came with the cat!
My 79 is a fed non cat from the factory-right on the factory underhood decal,no cat,no air pump. just the basics,egr valve and so on.

Jeff

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Disagree on Smog Pump

> I agree with Phantom. 280Z's were fuel injected/electronically ignitioned. Due to improved fuel management an AIR (air injection reactor/smog) pump is unnecessary. However, the catalytic converter, evaporative cannister, fuel tank restrictor, and EGR valve are required (at least in Colo Springs). No right thinking exhaust shop will risk fabricating/installing an exhaust system excluding a CAT. The fine is around $100K. mikey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.