ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my car to bestbuy (930AM on a sat!) today to get a cd player installd in my ae. do all the paper work and they tell me in a few hrs they will car when it is done. i get a call about 1 and 30 mins later saying that they cant do the install today because they have to bypass the amp (is that rite?) and they will run new wires to all the speakers and its gonna cost another $100 and i have to make an appt. and bring it back in a few days, he said its gonna take them 4-5 hrs to do. is it worth the $100 or should i jus try to do the install my self? is there a way to hook it up using the stock amp? wont it sound better with the amp anywayz?

·
Registered
262 Posts
umm... do it yourself

step 1: take out your stock stereo so that it looks like so http://www.az-zbum.com/dash.conversion/dash.removal.06.jpg[/img/ (pretend like those arrow's arn't there) and make sure you have an aftermarket plastic bracket, you can cut one out of plastic if you want, but the place where you bought your deck should have one for around a doller.

step 2: Cut and strip all the wires that lead to the bracket that came out from your old radio/cassette player (make sure you stip the wire about 1 to 1 and a half cm of bare wire showing)

step 3: DON'T PANIC this is the fun part and it's very easy. Find the power wire (the wire that has power running through it all the time) using a test light, it will be Yellow with a red strip in it. Hook your power wire from your deck to this wire.

step 4: Ground the deck, hook the black wire from your deck to a metal contact point in your car.

step 5: hook up the ignition wire (this tells the deck to turn on and off when your car turns on and off) this will be a Red wire with a green strip, hook your yellow wire from your deck to this wire.

step 6: test the deck to see if it work, put your ignition to the "ON" position and see if your deck lights up. If it does not, you may have to do a little wire searching, make sure that you hooked the RED power wire from the deck to the main power wire from the car, and make sure your igniotion wire is hooked up to the wire that only has power when the car in the ON position.

step 7: (this differs from deck models so check the manual that you get with the deck) hook up the front right speaker wires with the negative wire first (usually the same color as the positive except with a black line on it) to the FR speaker negative wire, which will be a RED wire with a WHITE line on it, and then hook up the positive wire to the completely RED wire.

Do the same with the FL speaker, the RR speaker and the RL speaker

the color code goes as follows:

FR: + = RED FL: + = Blue
- = RED/white - = Blue/white

as for the rear speakers, just try different combinations until you find it, since your's is an AE and mine is a 86, i'm pretty sure the wire combo is different for the rear speakers.

BTW: the amp bypass just means that they are going to bypass the body sonic amp in the headrest, so instead of hooking the speakers up the the amp in the head rest for the bodysonic they are just going to hook the speaker wires from the deck to the wire heads on the speakers.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
do it yourself.
ignore 4narchy since he has no clue what he's talking about.

read:
http://www.az-zbum.com/information.stereo.shtml

The biggest issue is the body sonic amp found under the driver seat. Most people ignore it. If you really want to keep it, you'll have to buy a DIN connector that will plug into the amp. Then, you'll have to figure out which wires are the signal wires. Connect those to an RCA output from the stereo (I'd recommend the sub outs).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i decided to take it to bestbuy today to have it installed. i told the guy about the bodysonic seats and he said that they would not work as well as the controlls on the steering wheel will not work. he said that they are going to be bypassing all the old stuff. is there any way after it is installed to hook up the bodysonic?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AZ_ZBum wrote:

>If you really want to keep it, you'll have to buy a DIN connector that will >plug into the amp. Then, you'll have to figure out which wires are the >signal wires. Connect those to an RCA output from the stereo (I'd >recommend the sub outs).

i have been looking at DIN connectors and they come in 5,6 and a 8din. which one do i need? do i have to run it from the rca plugs to the amp or is there a din connector behind the stereo that i can jus use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.