ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Turbo transplant was a success. All the stock parts out of a '83 280ZXT went into my '77. And after listening to the 3 Mustang junkies the live around me "Datsuns were never quick", "Why don't you get a real car", "He,he, wana race for pink slips..." That all ended today.... First time I cranked the motor, BBWWWAAAAAA, then the most distinctive high pitch scream only a turbo can make filled the air. I didn't even have all the wires tied down, I HAD to take it for a quick test drive. OH MY GOD!!!! I mean I have been in MANY quick cars, but none that made my heart slam into the back of my through like that. Now I don't what you to get the impression I am new to HP, I had a 350Z (it had a easy 300+hp) It NEVER connected and when it did it zipped up to speed with ease, then I did 40 DCOE Webbers, cam and headers, VERY nice setup, fun quick response and very controllable. But this, the HOLY GRAIL OF POWER.....<back to the story hehe too excited :) > I take it down the back roads of my subdivision (Its safe, open undeveloped fields) and let her run lose, mind you I had only a 3 foot tail pipe so she did scream. On my way back the 3 fellow who had been hassling me were standing looking at my hoodless car in disbelief. "So you finally got the motor in hu" some other cheap pot shots at the naked Z motor, and I got cocky. I offered to take one of them for a ride, reluctantly one got in, (he has a Trick 98 Mustang). I continued to PIN HIS HEAD TO THE SEAT to 100mph. Wow I even impressed myself on that run, I don't think I could do it again, It was by pure luck and adrenaline I made those 225's connect and launch me like bottle rocket. When we got back he had a grin ear to ear, "****" that is all he said to me, then turned to his the other and said "I wouldn't race him." I am not a 1/4 mile guy, but I left that experience feeling like a million bucks, I proceeded to go back and do several power slides around corners like I have never before. The responsiveness of this motor amazes me. And the thing of it is, she is STOCK. Well all Nissan, I still have not put on the intercooler, BOV, 5sp, or SDS. As she sits it is a 4sp Turbo with ECCS and AFM. I will soon be posting a HOW-TO on transplanting the ECCS into the Z. The most valuable thing is the wire diagram I made, tested and applied. All I can say to you who have never been in a Turbo-Z is, You are missing out on the greatest experience of your (Z) life.. Wow this is a long post, hope you forgive my rant, but I had to share with some one, and LORD knows it is hare to find people who can relate to this kind of thing. MAN I could go on and on... But I have to post about the SDS stuff so I better stop. And to all, Please heed my warning, Once you are set on the path Spool, their is NO going back..

FEEL THE SPOOL, Enjoy the Ride
John Cooney
'77 280ZTR

P.S. Still have some parts on that ZXT if anyone wants them...

·
Registered
74 Posts
John..
You still have the turbo rims..if so I would be glad to take them off your hands.

Thanks
Lloyd "Ewan"Tillman
Mesquite Tx

·
Registered
680 Posts
I love the Zs

Hay I know what u feel my friend my 280zx turbo 1983 kick some a$$. And it need some fixing hehehehe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MMMM. John you really got me thinkin. That '77 of mine is sitting there and I've been wondering just what to do with it. If I can save some money this summer, maybe that willl be a winter project. Roll cage needs to come first, though. If I can just get the wife and kids to stop eating!!

Can't wait to get those wheels!!

Randy Best

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**** you Frame Relay~!

I just finished builiding my engine and car from the ground up (N/A 2.9L Flattops, runs great) and there you go getting me all excited about slamming me into the back of the seat. Now I'LL have to start looking for a TURBO **** IT!!!!

Steve G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.