ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gettin a pair of used cowls for 100$ (right and left) they are in perfect shape but i dont like the whole fact that they are painted high gloss... i'm more a flat black type guy... or the factory metalic flake kinda color they came with. any suggestions on paint to useon them?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Duplicolor makes a dark grey paint with metal flakes in it (Grey Metallic, I think). It's in the small cans and you can find it at Advance Auto Parts. It looks to be the same color as my new OEM cowls.

Post Edited (Jan 10, 1:26pm)

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
well theres flat black trim paint......and then you can get something called "bumper coating" in grey platinum or something, its basically just a grey color meant to be used on grey bumpers.....

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
yikes. Just be sure the guy packages it very well. I bought a perfect passenger side one and it came shattered. All the guy said was, oh well I'll try to find another. Never heard back

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
ouch^^^ i'm gonna go take mine apart and paint them one of these days. Been sayin this for about a year and a half now.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My originals were pitted really bad. If I would have tried sanding them to prep for paint, there would have been nothing left of the cowl in some places. I'm very satisfied with my investment in new cowls.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Here's what I used - gray metallic with metal flakes. Very nice stuff -- also used the same paint on my t-belt plastic covers.

OLD POSTING -- Apologies to those who've seen this before:

This job came out a lot better than I expected, here's a couple of shots...

Paint supplies I used:
- Bulldog Adhesion Promoter instead of Primer (both for cowl and weather stripping)
- Plastikote 1006 Dark Gray for cowl
- Pastikote 616 Bumper Black for vinyl trim

Basic steps:
Cowl
- Removed cowls from car, removed vinyl trim from cowls
- Degreased cowls and sanded with 400 grit, wet sanded with 400
- Sprayed on Bulldog
- 3 coats of Cowl Paint, wet sanded with 600 grit, 2 more coats of paint,
final wet sanding with 1000 grit
- 3 coats of clear coat finish (no further sanding didn't want it real shiny)

Vinyl weather stripping:
- Cleaned well with alcohol on both sides, masked off areas that would need to be glued to cowls later.
- Sprayed on Bulldog
- 3 coats of bumper black trim paint
- Glued back on cowls with clear silicon

Also did the wiper arms while I had them off...
- Cleaned/degreased
- 400 grit prep sanding
- Bulldog
- 3 coats of some auto flat black I had on the shelf
- 600 grit lite wet sanding (but didn't like the shinny look)
- 2 last coats, no finish sanding --wanted them a bit dull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.