ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a Lincoln 100HD Wire Feed Welder, pretty much brand new for $200 a good deal. can this welder be converted to mig?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
No,keep looking...Steve's right,get one with more amperage and gas capable.Even if you start off with flux core and move on to gas later as your cash allows.Do it right,do it once...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Flux is a HUGE waste of money. For the money you spend on flux (~$8.00 a pound) You can pay for an moderately large Co2/argon tank. I have a 135 Lincoln Electric Mig/Flux Cored. It's performed everything I've asked it to.

·
Registered
944 Posts
chan: Did you find the ad on craigslist (seller is in East Islip, NY)? I was looking at it too, but decided that flux-core was a waste of money. For what its worth, I just ordered a refurb Lincoln 100T (MIG) from weldingmart.com for $370. I bought a 40cuft cylinder, empty, on Ebay for $86 shipped. I am going to use it for body work, and they say it will let you go up to 1/4" steel with it.

Hasn't arrived yet... I JUST ordered it... but I'm eager to get started. cyberweld.com is also a good site. And Harbor Freight sells Hobart welders at competitive prices.

Oh yea, the Lincoln 100 puts out 88 amps, while the 135 does 90A.

Post Edited (Oct 15, 12:38pm)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey Blue....
The amperage part would be the simple part. It's the TIG part that gets hard. It looks like it was TIG welded. Looks to be a nice job too!

·
Registered
631 Posts
When purchasing a welder you have to answer a coupe of questions...

How thin do I need to go? If you are going to do 20 - 24 guage sheet metal you WILL need C25 gas mixture - not flux core- some welders - like the Hobart Handlers now - and the Lincoln SP135 go down to 25 amps, which makes the welding a bit easier w/o burnthrough ( and you will use .o23 or.o24 solid wire).

How thick do I need to go? If you need to do up to 1/4" (this would be fine for the flange mentioned earlier), then you need at a minimum a 220V - 240V machine - the Handler 180 comes to mind. The Handler 140 would be good for 3/16" and is a 110-120V machine.

For the money, I would get the Handler 180 - MUCH more machine for a 20% increase in cost.

I myself bought a Millermatic 175 three years ago and have not regretted it in any way. I simply don't use it enough to require a longer duty cycle, and the 1/4" capacity is more than enough for my Z project car and rotisserie. If I need to weld something > 1/4", I'll multi-pass it - which is recommended for critical welds anyway.

The best piece of advice is DON'T GO CHEAP. Even pros have a hard time getting a good weld out of cheap welders their friends have.

At a minimum a HObart, Miller or Lincoln welder of the 135-140 amp class, and again for about 20% more you can get a 175-180 amp machine that is plenty for most home shops.

If you can - take a couple of welding classes at a local Vo-Tech or high school - the cost is minimal compared to the practice materials you use and guidance you can get!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help guys, i asked for a welder for x mas a couple of years ago and i got the worst welder ever, a stick welding piece of crap, and i almost burnt my house down with it. ill do it right this time and get a **** good one.

yeah mike it was the one on craigslist

·
Registered
105 Posts
This post brought up a topic of welding that I have been rumming over.

I have deffinately been looking into buying a good quality welder and taking classes on it.

My question is what welder would be good for welding sheet metal (like the car's body) and welding larger diameters up to a 1/4 in?

And what about being able to weld a wide range of metals from aluminum to steel?

What is preffered TIG or Mig with argon gas?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
You really do want a gas type mig. And like someone else said cheap welders are hard for anyone to weld with. I've been welding regularly for 25 years and when I'm subjected to using a cheap welder, it's a fight even for someone with experience. For a newbie welder, you won't know that it's the welder and not you! Sheet metal is the hardest stuff to weld so if this is what you're going to be welding, don't skimp and do some reserach.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
A wire feed welder is NOT a MIG!! A flux core wire feed welder is a wire feed welder. MIG is for a gas welder, that uses solid wire. If you want to ba able to do both small sheet metal and large stock, you will need a 220VAC machine. The 120VAC machines can do it, but not as nicely. I have a Lincoln 175 and it works great for both small and large stuff. I use a gas mix of 75% Argon and 25% CO2 for steel. You can buy a kit to change the gun to weld aluminum and then must use pure Argon. Guy at the welding shop told me that if I was only doing a small job with aluminum I could jut run it thru the regular gun. If you use too much AL wire though, it will clog the gun.

Gas shielded welds are cleaner and easier to clean-up than flux shielded. Flux wire is used for outdoor welding. The gas will just blow away and do no good outside. If you will be welding outside in even a slight breeze, you will want to use flux wire and just do a bit more clean up. When you use flux wire inside, it tends to make a huge smoke mess. So use the solid wire with gas inside.

When looking to buy a welder, buy the biggest one you can afford. I don't think anyone has ever bought a welder and wished they had gotten a smaller one. You will always want bigger. Get a good MIG welder, 220VAC, and you will be happy.

My 175 is the smallest 220VAC welder Lincoln makes and that's all I could afford at the time, but I knew I wanted 220VAC. The gas tank ran me about $80 to buy it outright, and is about $30 to refill. I got a 40 cf bottle and it lasted so far about 5 months and I have done some floors, and other fabricating at work. I just now notice the pressure dropping in the bottle.

Shop around, and know what you are buying. Even if you don't know how to weld yet, know about the welder you are buying and looking for.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
> A wire feed welder is NOT a MIG!!

Yes you're right if we are discussing process (GMAW is commonly called "MIG"), but "MIG" is also common term for the types of wire feed machines that are the topic of this thread.

- John

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
hey blue, i was told that manny is cast steel. might be something to look into....and this was by a guy who welded it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.