ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my firebird to the shop with an injector problem and it came back with a hole in #6 piston. Now I am looking for another car. One which caught my eye was the 300zx A/E... I just love that freakin digital dash!!!! I am going to look at an A/E that is for sale this weekend and I have never owned anyhting from nissan before. I was wondering if I could get some pointers on what to look for in the car, and what to watch out for as well as any general things you might think of for me to know about the 300zx's in general. I have seen most of the positive aspects of these cars on this site, but I would like to hear some of the most common draw backs to them. One more thing.... I read somewhere online the that the A/E's have internally adjustable shocks... is this true??? If so this car was way ahead of its time!!!
Thanks
Timmothy
-*Wanna be future enthusiast*-

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
well, the digi dash that you like so much is not all what it apears, digi dash's are a pain in the a$$, most of the time they don't work proparly, ofcourse at the same time there is a fix for everything, but if you ask around you'll find out that a good number of people that own Z's with digi clusters don't like'em.

the adj suspension, well it's probably trashed already, even if the car has lower milage it still is a 21 year old car, but just so you know you can NOT find them anywhere, Nissan don't make them and no dealership has any left so all of us with adj suspension went after market, most use tokicos 5 way adj.

they are fun cars to drive for sure, nothing like driving a Z, specially AE's.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The 2thman is right on with his advice and to add just a bit more.....Try to talk with the previous owner (if this Z isn't sitting on a lot) and determine when the timing belt was last changed. Normal maintenance for this item calls for a change every 60, 000 miles. This is a critical item. If you can't find out and you do buy the car, I would suggest that you change it just for your peace of mind. Unlike the Corvette and other sports cars, which had some years that were worse then others, I have never heard of any one bad year for the Z car in the 84-89 models. They're great vehicles. Look inside on the floorboards and try to see any signs of rust that would show previous leaks. This also goes for the bottom of the spare tire compartment. Check out ALL the bells and whistles and determine what works and what doesn't work. Pull the T-tops and look for rust in the gasket areas of the roof where the T-tops seat in. How many miles on this AE? Hopefully a guy by the name of AZ-ZBUM will chime in on this as well and give you even more suggestions. Welcome aboard to the site and may you enjoy your Z, whichever one you decide to get. You will find a wealth of Z knowledge and extremely helpful information here which will assist you in keeping your Z in top running condition. Remember.......take care of your stuff and......your stuff will take care of you. Good luck.

Special Ops Lives

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went to the dealership that had the "Z" today on my FZR 600... not cool. A total of 380 miles and a lot of back pain... The car was great, It only had one owner before me and was very well taken care of. The car looks like it just came off the lot minus a few small things wrong.
1. the gauge on my digdash does not display whatever is next to the bar that show how much gas is in my tank. I dont know what it is but I think it shows how many gallons are in the tank?? dont know but if someonw could let me know it would be appreciated.
2. Stock sterio doesnt work. While I was looking foward to using it even temperarily I was going to change it out anyways. My firebird had 160o watts of sound and I will just transfer it all over, since I'll probably never get the firebird going again anyways.
3. the digi dash has a very small crack on it about 1/16 of the way from the bottom. and it goes along the entire bottom right hand side of the steering wheel. I dont know if it can be replaced or if it is one big unit. the crack doesnt get in the way of anything nor is it noticable unless you look for it.
There was also an aftermarket boost gauge added on below my dash on the driver side.. I couldnt really look at it that well but whenever I got a chance it was showing a vaccume... I was also mostly at red lights when I was looking at it :S...
The Test drive went great, except that there were no sales people that could drive a stick shift so they had to get the floor manager to get it from the back.. LMAO what has this world come to. The car drives nicley up and down hills through turns, and does well with hard braking and accelerating. Not bad for 140,000 miles. After all this I ran the car through a car wash. Nothing leaked, at all, anywhere. From what I have heard that was amazing to me. After the car wash I took off the "T"tops as suggested and found absolutly NO RUST. then I removed the spare tire and checked the fender well and once again NO RUST. I offered the dealership $2,600 for it and they took it. I will pick it up next weekend because they said they will fix the passenger side window. (It was working before the car wash and stopped after) no problem for me because its FREE.
I did the entire test that was written on az-zbum.com
( http://www.az-zbum.com/information.50th.ae.shtml ) as well as
Http://zhome.com/buying/thirdgen.html

Any questions comments or information would be great, I am new here and would love to hear anything, no matter how trivial it may seem.
Thanks,
Timmothy

·
Registered
667 Posts
i think the space next to the gas gauge only lights up when gas gets low telling gallons left?
i think
i have only put gas in mine 2 times so far

·
Registered
724 Posts
What was the dealer asking for the Z and is the original owner's manual, T-top shades and T-top gloves (naugehyde containers/protectors) all with the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealership originally wanted $2,888 for the car but they didnt know what it was. They didn't even know what year it was until I got there and read the vin. The owners manual did not come with it, but the T top covers and the t tops themselves are like they were just bought in 1984 without a scratch on them. As I said this car is as good as a 1984 300zx can be, for being 21 years old and was obviously garage kept its entire life. I didnt get the car cover though, I asked and the sales people and they had no clue. The only reason they had the car there was because the original owner came in and traded this car as credit towards a 350z. This isn't a dealership that sells used cars, and didnt know what they had. Their loss my gain. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
beastslayer is right, the numaric gauge only comes on when you have 5 gallons left, and mind that one like it is god, because when it says empty, its empty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.