ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying my first z car. It is a 1980 280ZX with really low miles (7,700 to be exact). It was in storage for eighteen years and the current owner replaced the muffler, gas tank, battery, air filter, oil and spark plugs. It also has a new paint job with 700 miles on it. The body looks perfect and the interior is almost new with no signs of rot. I was wondering what a reasonable offer would be for this car and what trouble to look for.
Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would certainly by curious about why a car with only 7,700 miles would need a new muffler, gas tank and particularly a paint job. Where was it stored? In the open sun in the desert. I don't want to be negative, but I would be suspicious about accuracy of mileage.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

I would have to agree with Merle 77Z. I have read other discussions about several guys buying very low mileage Z's, but this seems a little far fetched. The car would be over 19 years old and driven less than 100 miles per year, but still in need of extensive repairs.
Doesn't make good sense.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sue280ZX

I like your taste I have a '81 Turbo
but I think I might be alittle bit too young
ohwell its worth a shot

Z Ya

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

The original owner was an old lady who died and the car was found in her garage up on blocks. It was then purchased by an autobody mechanic for his wife and did the mechanical work listed above. But she refuses to drive a manual anymore so he wants to get rid of it. He is a Corvette lover with no real interest in the zcars.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

Check the pedal and see if they look worn at all or if they just look like they've been replaced. If it's been driven alot and flipped over 100,000 they would show signs of wear most likely, especially the clutch. Gas might not be if it's got cruise. I can possibly see new paint and gas tank, but the muffler is strange unless it's a performance upgrade. See what kind of tires it's got on it and check with the manufacturer to see when they were made if you really want to dig. If it was on blocks they shouldn't have needed replaced. Sounds like a fishy story, but it happens from time to time. Depending on what you want, you could buy a decent Z or ZX and customize it quite a bit for the money it would take to buy that Z.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, the comments regarding areas to be cautious of are excellent. In addition, you may want to consider that any tire after 18 months will check and crack in the sidewalls, is that evident in the tires on the car. Also, most bearings rely on some use to keep them lubed, after 18 years of sitting, i'd expect all sorts of problems with ball and roller bearings (wheel and axle bearings).
Also remember that the engines in our cars would live a very long time, a "new 18 year old engine isn't worth much more than one with 65,000 miles on it. Perhaps less if you consider the potential problems.
Even so, I'd be strongly tempted if all checks out. Good luck!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought an 80 10th anniv SE for 2500 w/35K. Had to replace the whole front suspension and all of the swaybar connector donuts. If the car has a perfect body and interior, the mechanicals are not too big a problem and you will probably want to modify the engine, anyway. Offer him two grand and go up to twenty five. Be sure to check for bondo, though. Low mileage doesn't mean no wrecks. There has to be some reason it was parked in the first place. Be careful and enjoy the Z you end up with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.