ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my elect system on my 72 240 after driving a while the battery is absolutly boiling. It is hot enought you can hear it boiling and smells of sulpher. I think it is a bad voltage regulator but wanted a second opinion before I wasted the 40 bones....
thanks in advance
mgb

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Take it to Sears and have them check the battery and the regulator.

Since you are definitely overcharging, and like 2400cc says may have fried the battery, you might be able to get a good deal from them on one of their batteries.

· Registered
433 Posts
yes this was happening to me a while back. You could change your regulator, but I just wired in a remanufactured 280zx internally regulated alternator. Boy was this whole process a pain. By the way, if any battery acid has boiled out, I suggest dissolving some baking soda in water and washing the F*&$ out of your engine bay around the battery. This will react with the acid (it fizzes, kinda cool) and neutralize it into a grayish nasty slime. Do this or your car will rust every time water touches the area!

· Registered
69 Posts
Rinse it with water afterwards--if the baking soda solution dries and sits there, it will capture water (I think), and any water with stuff dissolved in it is especially bad for steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.