ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that subject name might catch some attention. I previously owned a 1983 Datsun 280Zx NA that I had spent many months restoring from ground up. The most wonderful car I had ever had(it was quite more than a car) and also the most reliable......... until the alternator failed. The first replacement I purchased was defective, along with the second. The second alternator caused the voltage needle to go off the scale. The third alternator seemed to work fine for a few months. Then one night the fuel pump began screaming, everything went berzerk, the lady started talking to me and the horn started beeping and wouldn't quite. I immediately pulled over and smoke began pouring through the heater vents. She burst into flame as I ran to the nearest house and was gone by the time the fire department got there. I have talked to another Z owner who had similar symptoms with a replacement alternator but replaced it before any damage was done. If anyone else has a similar story I would like to know about it, and where the alternator was purchased from. All of my alternators came from Auto Zone, with whom I no longer deal with because of recieving defective products regularly. If anyone else has a similar story, please let me know. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wayne - Re: Burning Z's

I was as careful with alternator installation as I was with all the other parts of the car. The alternator was properly grounded, and the fusible links were all new, and to factory specs. All of the alternators I recieved were defective, and in the long run, they were defective regardless of installation. The origin of the fire couldn't be pinpointed, although it was a hot one. The valve cover melted and the alternator was just a nasty metal case. Whether or not other people's cars have burned up is not so important to me(and it's a really depressing matter), but whether defective alternators are a common problem and from which suppliers. More like a little consumer reports is what I'd like to do, Z owners need to know these things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.