ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a page I ran across (relating to previous post below). It pretty much has all the pages I have bookmarked about fuel injection companies online. The one I noticed is absent would be something about the FelPro system, which is what I am running. Therefore the link to that would be <A HREF=http://userdata.acd.net/lance/sefi8lo.html>http://userdata.acd.net/lance/sefi8lo.html</A>
Other than that if you go to all the pages there you can learn a lot about aftermarket fuel injection and modifying your system. particularly interesting would be the do it yourself page, the Howell EFI page, and the syclone page as far as someone wanting to build their own system on the cheap using junkyard GM parts. There are even shareware programs on the syclone page for someone wanting to burn their own chips. Someday I'll attempt it. It would be so cool to have an all GM system on a turbo Nissan. The cool thing is I think I could build the whole system out of used parts for under $500, including ECM, injectors, all sensors, chip burning hardware, etc. If I just had the knowledge/experience to correctly tune/burn a chip.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
448 Posts
> Here's a page I ran across (relating to
> previous post below). It pretty much has all
> the pages I have bookmarked about fuel
> injection companies online. The one I
> noticed is absent would be something about
> the FelPro system, which is what I am
> running. Therefore the link to that would be
> <A HREF=http://userdata.acd.net/lance/sefi8lo.html>http://userdata.acd.net/lance/sefi8lo.html</A>
> Other than that if you go to all the pages
> there you can learn a lot about aftermarket
> fuel injection and modifying your system.
> particularly interesting would be the
> do it yourself page, the Howell
> EFI page, and the syclone page as far as
> someone wanting to build their own system on
> the cheap using junkyard GM parts. There are
> even shareware programs on the syclone page
> for someone wanting to burn their own chips.
> Someday I'll attempt it. It would be so cool
> to have an all GM system on a turbo Nissan.
> The cool thing is I think I could build the
> whole system out of used parts for under
> $500, including ECM, injectors, all sensors,
> chip burning hardware, etc. If I just had
> the knowledge/experience to correctly
> tune/burn a chip.
> greg
> 71 240z
I've got the ecm codes from the '749 and a programmer at work is looking at it to see if he can change it work on my car. There are other problems like the throttlebody has to be fitted with an IAC as well as the TPS. I'm looking at the system from a GM turbo car but with a MAP sensor instead of the MAS. I'm also looking at fitting the 300zxt ecm because it uses all the same sensors except the for the AFM. The main problem is the firing order. Any thoughts on changing this by switching plug wires?
The 300 fires 123456. Other than that the 300 would probably work with a little rewiring to the MAS. It's all very interesting but takes a lot of time to do.(Pisses my wife off big time)
Bernard

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the ecu does not control the igntion firing order the distrubutor takes care of that . The ecu just gives the proper time to fire the coil . Since you have 6 cylinders you should be alright there . Worrying about the injectors and when they fire is the important problem . The injectors all fire at the same time, but when they fire and for how long(duty cycle) might be a problem . I have not thought about this long so I could be dead wrong .

> I've got the ecm codes from the '749 and a
> programmer at work is looking at it to see
> if he can change it work on my car. There
> are other problems like the throttlebody has
> to be fitted with an IAC as well as the TPS.
> I'm looking at the system from a GM turbo
> car but with a MAP sensor instead of the
> MAS. I'm also looking at fitting the 300zxt
> ecm because it uses all the same sensors
> except the for the AFM. The main problem is
> the firing order. Any thoughts on changing
> this by switching plug wires?
> The 300 fires 123456. Other than that the
> 300 would probably work with a little
> rewiring to the MAS. It's all very
> interesting but takes a lot of time to
> do.(Pisses my wife off big time)
> Bernard

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> Correct me if I'm wrong here but the ecu
> does not control the igntion firing order
> the distrubutor takes care of that . The ecu
> just gives the proper time to fire the coil
> . Since you have 6 cylinders you should be
> alright there . Worrying about the injectors
> and when they fire is the important problem
> . The injectors all fire at the same time,
> but when they fire and for how long(duty
> cycle) might be a problem . I have not
> thought about this long so I could be dead
> wrong .

perfectly correct on the ignition. the fuel timing will be pretty close. The AFM measures the air entering the engine, so it doesn't matter too much about using it on a 2.8 liter instead of the 3 liter motor. The biggest change would be in off idle and accelerating functions, but it should work pretty well since they are so close in size. Of course you could buy a 300z computer programmed for the 2.8 (from JWT) , but then you didn't save much money and you would have to get a new program if you wanted to change anything. I'd work with the GM electronics. Think of the money you could save in replacement costs alone in GM parts versus Nissan electronics. You can get used GM ecm's all day for 25 bucks and all you would have to do to use is is pop out your programmed chip and put it into the new ecm. Try that with a nissan ecm, especially a reprogrammed one. As far as the idle air control, just leave it unhooked. the computer won't know the diffeence. Or there are conversion blocks you can get that easily adapt a gm IAC to your motor with only a couple of hose barbs tapped into the intake (contact www.force-efi.com). fabricate a plate and use a ford tps sensor. It will work with a nissan d throttle shaft as long as you have a plate to allow you to clock it to the right position. If I didn't have a turbo car I would use a system off a 3 liter v6 gm motor and even try to use the stock gm program clibrations. I don't know of any factory gm 3 liter cars that were turbo charged or I would try that. What car are you trying to use? One of the 2 liter turbo motors? a lot of the gm ecm's have a cylinder select setting, so you don't even have to use one off a 6 cylinder car.
geg
71 240z

·
Registered
448 Posts
> perfectly correct on the ignition. the fuel
> timing will be pretty close. The
> AFM measures the air entering the engine, so
> it doesn't matter too much about using it on
> a 2.8 liter instead of the 3 liter motor.
> The biggest change would be in off idle and
> accelerating functions, but it should work
> pretty well since they are so close in size.
> Of course you could buy a 300z computer
> programmed for the 2.8 (from JWT) , but then
> you didn't save much money and you would
> have to get a new program if you wanted to
> change anything. I'd work with the GM
> electronics. Think of the money you could
> save in replacement costs alone in GM parts
> versus Nissan electronics. You can get used
> GM ecm's all day for 25 bucks and all you
> would have to do to use is is pop out your
> programmed chip and put it into the new ecm.
> Try that with a nissan ecm, especially a
> reprogrammed one. As far as the idle air
> control, just leave it unhooked. the
> computer won't know the diffeence. Or there
> are conversion blocks you can get that
> easily adapt a gm IAC to your motor with
> only a couple of hose barbs tapped into the
> intake (contact www.force-efi.com).
> fabricate a plate and use a ford tps sensor.
> It will work with a nissan d
> throttle shaft as long as you have a plate
> to allow you to clock it to the
> right position. If I didn't have a turbo car
> I would use a system off a 3 liter v6 gm
> motor and even try to use the stock gm
> program clibrations. I don't know of any
> factory gm 3 liter cars that were turbo
> charged or I would try that. What car are
> you trying to use? One of the 2 liter turbo
> motors? a lot of the gm ecm's have a
> cylinder select setting, so you don't even
> have to use one off a 6 cylinder car.
> geg
> 71 240z
I'm trying to use the '749 which was used on several different models including the 2 liter turbo. It was also used on the 3.1 liter v6 turbo but I don't think those were available in Canada at least I've never seen one so I don't know if the ecm's up here are the same. I didn't realize there was an easy way of adapting the tps. Running the car without the idle air controller will be a problem according to a gm mechanic at my uncle's dealership. I'll have to investigate further.
I've downloaded a program from Italy that changes the code from any eprom into graphs and hex decimal. So I've got to see at what point the injectors fire after the ecm sees the mark to start timing from the cas. I still think that using the 300zxt ecm is the easiest because you don't have to really change anything other than the mass air sensor connection. I don't know what the stroke of the 300zxt is but if it's close wouldn't that determine when the injectors started to fire? Also I'm going to ask some of the brains on DIY mailing list if there's a book specifically on gm ecm code.

·
Registered
448 Posts
> Correct me if I'm wrong here but the ecu
> does not control the igntion firing order
> the distrubutor takes care of that . The ecu
> just gives the proper time to fire the coil
> . Since you have 6 cylinders you should be
> alright there . Worrying about the injectors
> and when they fire is the important problem
> . The injectors all fire at the same time,
> but when they fire and for how long(duty
> cycle) might be a problem . I have not
> thought about this long so I could be dead
> wrong .
I thought that in the 280zxt the timing was controlled by the ecm. It says in the manual that it is anyway.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
>I thought that in the 280zxt the timing was
> controlled by the ecm. It says in the manual
> that it is anyway.
Yes you are correct the ecm does controll the amount of advance on the distributor, but the firing order is determined by distributor on both models . You may run into a problem that the 300 curve is too drastic for the 280, the knock sensors are probably the same .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.