ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have lowered your Z cars, did you install urethane bump stops like MA sells? I just ordered Tokico springs, MA bars, and Tokico Illumina struts for my 78. Does anyone have have any pros or cons on this setup?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
571 Posts
Can someone tell me why Zs need to be lowered I don't get it.
While you’re at it can anyone tell me why they have step side trucks.
The bed looks deformed and small like a S-10 and nobody says anything other than
“It’s Cool” or “It’s the Style”
Now a Z is like 8 inches off the ground, why make it lower?

Madeline

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
"...Now a Z is like 8 inches off the ground, why make it lower?"

That's why. 8". Like most things, it's just a matter of prefference. I think they look more sporty and fast when they're lowered. As for me, I autocross the car, so lowering it lowers your center of gravity making it handle better.

As for the bump stops, cut about half of the material off so that their not so long.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got a pick up truck that measures 2 inches off the ground at the frame... Know why? "it's cool". At least I think so, and thats really all that matters.

Shayne

·
Registered
571 Posts
When a vehicle is without much shock and sits close to the ground and shakes like ****.
Now if you guys had boobs you wouldn’t think it’s so cool.
Lets be real JetBlack82 wants to take out his air conditioner and you want to shake our **** off.
So your girlfriends on a date have runny mascara and sore boobs.
Think about it.

Madeline

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you've ridden in something low and it shakes enough to hurt your boobs, smack the owner for doing it wrong. My wife loves my truck (and she's 38 DD!)

Shayne

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
LOL!!!!!

****, Madeline, you made a great point, and a funny one at that. I'll have to take you word for it, being a guy and all, but my autocross car is used mostly for just that, autocross. However it is a streetable car and I do take it out on the weekends, though I suppose you won't want to ride in it. :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
hey, how many times have you gotten stuck on a speed bump at wal mart?? Its so funny watching kids knock their honda airdams off and sitting like a teeter totter in front of the store, but they sure look cool huh?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Well back to bump stop. yes you need them when you lower your car. Lowering my Z help my cars apprearance plus the handling. stiffer spring keeps the car from nose diving during breaking and no nore squat and go. Now, it just goes. I doidn't mind the stock suspension but with my aftermarket sus, I'm runing more negative camber.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Madeline, just because a car is lowered slightly, doesn't mean it will shake. It has to be lowered CORRECTLY with the right spring rates and dampers. Yes, when the kids in the Hondas slam the cars down by cutting springs and never changing shocks, they ARE going to shake. This is one reason I went with the Tokico springs over the MA springs. They are a bit softer and only lower the ride height by 1" rather than 1-1/2". Also I spent big bucks on the adjustable struts so that in normal driving the ride will not be harsh. I will also only be using 15" wheels rather than 16" for that same reason. More tire sidewall height will improve the ride. Have you ever ridden in a stock BMW M3? They are about 1" lower than a 325i and don't have any shake. This is because they were properly lowered. Same goes for dozens of other factory modified cars.

Hey yo2001, what setup have you used? I don't mind using the bumpstops, I just want to make sure they are needed for my spring/damper combination.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
There goes any chance of a date

with Angelina Jolie or Mariah Carey!

Actually, I agree with Madeline on this — slammed cars look ridiculous. Take a look at the Car of the Month. Stock springs and I never saw a Z that sat better. I actually wish some of the aftermarket companies sold springs that were stock height. (NOS Z springs are about $100 each.) But most take them down 1-1.5 inches, which is manageable, but unnecessary. Come on, unless you race the only thing a lowered car will get you is a battered undercarriage — and girlfriends with sore boobs.

Of course, I also think 90% of airdams make Z cars look like snowplows, too. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: There goes any chance of a date

Back to your question, Jeff...I have Suspension Techniques lowered springs...with Tokiko Illumina 5-way adjustables...the bump stops have been cut in half...AND I added a spacer kit to allow stock steering adjustment...the car (a '78 280 Z) is about 2 inches lower and sits with a slight nose-down "rake"(195 60 15 up front...195 70 15 in back)...has a Jim Cook chin spoiler...a humongous "Whale Tail" on the deck...and I love it!!!...ride is adjustable easily (when the ladies object)...and speed bumps are only a very minor hassle...and no, I DON'T have any decals (even one saying DATSUN at the top of the windshield)...or racing stripes...or fake claims to turbos..or ten 12" subs...or two 1,000 w amplifiers...and no GPS screen...or all the other Go-Fast Goodies !!!! ...and IMHO if you want a soft ride (why??) then put some wheels on the living room sofa & drive that...or buy a sofa on wheels at your local foreign-owned "American" car dealership...sorry for the ranting, BUT...if anyone needs a reason for modifying their car, or to answer the critics, here's one: BECAUSE, THAT'S WHY !!! :eek:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: There goes any chance of a date

uhhh, yeah... She does like the truck. and by the way, it's adjustable air bag suspension on my truck... two inches off the frame is where the truck sits when I let it all the way down. Sooo.... I've never been stuck on a speed bump anywhere. Although...... about 10 years ago, when I had no idea what I was doing, I cranked down the torsion bars on this old mazda truck I had... tried taking it into the upper deck of the parking garage at laurel mall and got caught on the hump... ripped both the torsion bars out. With enough clutch burning and tire smoke, I eventually got it up there. Of course, it had to sit up there for a week until I could get new torsion bars in it cuz it sure as **** wasn't coming back down!! I've learned how to do it right since then, of course.
As far as the appearance of lowered vehicles go, it's strictly a matter of opinion and nothing more.

Shayne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.