ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if you have a lowered Z car like mine, you probably have bump steer. I know why this happens, just by looking underneath the car. The steering tie-rod end is bent at an angle of at least 15-20 degrees from horizontal to the ground. This is due to the steering knuckle height relative to the steering rack height. Obviously this is not an ideal situation.
My question is how to fix this easily. I know motorsports sells a bumpsteer spacer, but I've heard it installs between the strut and steering knuckle, not between the steering knuckle and ball joint, where the real problem is. Installing something between the strut and steering arm will only correct camber changes which can also cause bumpsteer. But, it does nothing for the severe tie-rod angle. Does anyone have a kit that corrects this problem? It shouldn't be too hard to construct a spacer, but I want to know if one already exists.

Thanks,
240Dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Well, if you have a lowered Z car like mine,
> you probably have bump steer.

Hey! I've never seen any other kinds of spacers for sale to correct for the problem... but I'm going to answer your question with another one! *my* '72 240Z has plenty of bump-steer without being lowered! It has original (shot) suspension n' stuff, so that's probably the culprit, but is there some simple thing that I might be able to replace to get rid of it? I live in the middle of miles and miles of steep, twisty, and bumpy roads that I could drive a lot faster if it could take the little dips and ridges. :)

Thanks dude!
-rr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.