ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a totalled 83 280ZXT 5 speed with the intention of putting the engine and transmission in my 77 280. I have the factory harness and computer from the 83 but I wanted to run more boost than that system can handle. Also making any sense of all the wiring seems impossible. I would like the car to have around 300 hp and I intend to get an intercooler and bigger turbo. The car also needs to still pass a smog test. What is the best fuel injection system to put on the car? Who can install it? What kind of turbo do I use?
Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm a bit confused about the 280ZX turbo engines, they don't seem to be very well designed/thought out to put an intercooler on, the turbo is right at the back of the engine and you have to run the pipes quite far if you have the intercooler at the front of the car, so you lose boost anyway.

You will definately need a new computer, the SDS ones seem pretty popular in the US, I don't think we get them down here in New Zealand, for 300hp you will probably want bigger injectors too. 300hp is quite a lot to get from that engine, but I guess its possible :) I was actually thinking of trying to drop an RB25DETT in my 280Z, but that is a few years off I think, stock they are 280hp I think and can go quite a bit higher.

Hope this is somehow helpful, I doubt it is though :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Check out hybridz.org for some ideas. 300 HP is possible with the stock motor. ScottyMIZ has run high 12's in street trim with a stock turbo & computor with larger injectors and an IC. I'm using a small hybrid turbo & SDS system that controls the fuel only with 425cc injectors,the 78 distributor with a MSD BTM unit to control timing. At 16 psi with a Spearco IC all **** breaks loose & I eventually smoked the clutch but the engine can take it if you set up the fuel & timing properly. If you want to pass smog you may have to use the stock computor since the SDS isn't EPA approved. It's definitely a worthwhile swap, give it a shot.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The best setup for that is the 77 computer. That is what I put into my 260, and I also had two turbo harnesses sitting right there. I am running about 380hp with 300 turbo injectors and an AFM that is a hybrid of a turbo and stock. Also, this harness is already in your car! Save the money and the time. Most of the SDS cars aren't putting out the power my car is. This isn't a knock on the SDS system, I plan on using it adventually, but the factory harness is more than capable. Think it over, a couple thousand in parts and rewire your car, or go with the stock harness, bigger injectors, hybrid AFM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.