ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking for advice on ways to drill out & remove a broken exhaust manifold stud from my N47 head, using only common tools and a drill press.

Here's what I have available: drill press, good selection of bits, easy-out tools. I don't have a torch, and taking it to a machine shop is out of the question with this head (they want a minimum of 30 bucks just to extract it; for fifteen bucks more I can buy a junkyard head that's in better shape than the one I have).

What I'm concerned about is finding the dead-center of the snapped stud. It snapped about 1/16 down inside, leaving a jagged edge. Someone tried to drill it out a long time ago and their bit slipped, chewing up the aluminum. Corrosion has set in, and it's hard to see where the corroded aluminum stops and the corroded steel stud begins.

Does anyone know the exact measurements of the stud placement on the N47 head (i.e., ...every 10 centimeters, center-to-center...)? Does anyone know of a technique to make the measurements?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Never Mind, Already Did It

I simply put the head on the press, leveled it by eye, grabbed a drill bit that seemed like slightly smaller than the threads, and drilled it. I'll find out if it worked when I mate the manifolds to the head....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.