Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 Nissan 300ZX

The voltage reading says zero volts. When I try to start the car there's just a click. When the ignition is in the on position and I try the power windows, they just buzz a little.

When I connect a 12V batter charger/jump starter to the battery at 10A, the power windows work, and when I try to start it there's a louder click, maybe from the starter motor. The voltage readout says 12V. A relay is buzzing.

When I switch up to 50A (meant for jump starts) the relay stops buzzing (probably was buzzing because the voltage was low) the readout shows 15V, and there is still only a loud click when I try to start the engine. However, after holding the key in the start position for a couple seconds, there is a hissing noise from near the engine that stops after several seconds.

Is there maybe a short somewhere? Could a broken starter short out?

Thanks,
Nic

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

My neighbor came out and started helping, and he brought out his mondo battery charger. With that connected, the starter motor turns a tiny bit. My neighbor says the battery is dead even though the multimeter shows 11V, so we're leaving it to charge up. This would leave me to think it's the alternator not charging the battery, but the voltage readout always shows 13.5 volts while I'm driving, even right before the car died. When I tried to start it next it showed 0V. Maybe the battery needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
248 Posts
what?? you are not supposed to try to start a car like that..and yes that hissing could be a wire burning..through experience when i was a moronic 17 year old I know this.. everything else works in your car because it doesn't require much power, a starter requires a lot of power..you have to let the battery charge first, then remove the charger from the battery..THEN try to start it..stop trying to start it when it is plugged into an outlet..believe me..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.