ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Re: Bringing my 1980 280ZXT out of a 7 year storag

The same question came to my mind when I saw your post. As far as I know, Nissan did not offer a turbo in the ZX until late '81. But hey, I've been wrong before.

I recently brought a '75 280 back to life after it had been sitting at least 5 years. Gas in the tank was complete varnish, so the first order of business was to have the tank steam cleaned. Couldn't get the fuel pump to work, so I got one out of a same-year car at a junkyard. While the tank was being cleaned, I put in new plugs, wires, rotor, etc. I also squirted a little Marvel Mystery Oil (auto trans fluid is also good, I've heard) into each cylinders, then turned the engine over via the crank bolt while the plugs were out.

I put the fuel tank back in, hooked everything up in the back and then detached the fuel line at the filter (under the hood) I hooked up the battery and had my wife turn the key until the fuel pump came on and fresh fuel flowed out the line (into a container under the car). Then I buttoned everthing up, crossed my fingers, turned the key and on about the fifth revolution the motor fired -- and ran great.

I should mention that I got this car for $100, so I really had nothing to lose. But if your car ran before you put it away, there's no reason it shouldn't run again with a few precautions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.