ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79 ZX's bright headlights stay on. I think the switch in the steering column is shot. Any body familiar with this problem? Is the switch I am talking about is it hard to replace or get access to. Thanks mr_vls

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
had the exact same problem!

I had the same problem in my 83zx. I took the switch thing apart and found that what actuates the bright and dimm are metal contacts. one of my contacts would not hit its point anymore therfore forcing it stay on bright. All I did was bend the peice of metal inward so when the brights are not on it would touch the contact it ws sopposed to.. it is harder to explain then it is to fix.. if you dont feel compfy

·
Registered
5 Posts
A little more info

The switch is likely the problem. FYI, if your system is like my '77, the combination switch on the right side of the column connects the circuit to the battery positive terminal. The dimmer swich on the left controls the ground side of the circuit; which alternates between grounding the bright circuit or the dim circuit. As 83 Zwigen explained, chances are your contacts in the switch are bad. I recently installed the H-4 Xenon system in my car, and I was concerned the additional current draw would be too much for those switches (full headlight current is seen at both of those switches). To prevent an expensive switch replacement or potential fire, I wired in relays for the combination switch and both sides of the dimmer switch. Now I only have milliamps going through my steering column, and if a relay fails its only a $3 fix!

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.