ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light Pimp is right. On a 73 it's not a real big deal. Technically, the metal structure under the DASHPAD is part of the chassis. Usually I change the whole thing and just swap the tag, and secure it with rivits. Incidentally, and technically, you are supposed to do the swap in the presence of a Federal Authority. Yeah, like you can schedule that. Again, Light Pimp gives good advice, stating that your local Highway Patrol or VIN Verifier probably can help you out. It's not like you're trying to do anything nefarious, and the Junkyard is SUPPOSED to supply you with a reciept showing the VIN of the vehicle you bought the part from, so a DMV audit trail is established when moving identified parts. All that said: what they don't know won't hurt them. This can be as complicated or as easy as you want it to be...

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CAVEAT!

The above stated was assuming you are using the dash from the junkyard to replace the dash in the car the VIN originally came from. It is a big NO-NO to try to "resurrect" or "save" a car found in the junkyard using your VIN's. This can be especially frustrating if you live in the rust belt, and then go to AZ or CA and see cars in the boneyard in WAY better shape than the ride you just bought. RESIST! Resist, I say--the temptations are not worth it. From time-to-time I hear people talking about it, and "how easy it would be", but think of it this way: traffic stop, impounded, CRUSHED!!! That is the life story of a car with swapped VIN's if discovered. I can't weld that good, and ANYTHING that would raise suspicion and get one of my babies crushed I RUN away from! Yes, I got WAY too much sun this weekend...

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i took so long to reply, BTW. n/c

n/c

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.