ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ..... i got my motor back like 3 weeks ago, and i finnaly got around to putting it all back together so i could start it. I got it started on sunday, and let it run for a bout 30 minutes.... it sounds awsome, I was running it with an open header :) .... anyways... i got a .490" lift cam and ross flat top pistons and boy could i tell the difference in the way the motor ran ...
just in case you guys are wondering i didnt drive it ... I just let ran it at high idle to break it in, but i reved it up a couple times... huge difference over stock... if you have any questions feel free to ask, and i will keep you posted on the progress and horsepower and all that good stuff ... I am also waiting on flow numbers for my head ... i have an n42 thats been pocket ported and chamber polished and all that good stuff ...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
open header huh? sure the neighbors loved that!!! actually, thats what im about to do!!!!!! cant wait! next week is the day!

im actually ahead of scheduele!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats cool bubble ... tell me again what exactly you've done to your motor ? i think i have read it in past posts, but i cant remember....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
doesnt it feel great to get it started for the first time after getting everything all hooked up. I was so happy when i first got mine running about a week ago. Have fun with that .490 cam. I have a .520 in mine and EVERYONE stares at me when im sitting there idleing. :) But then again i think the tripple carbs have a little play in making it sound like a v8. I have broken in mine a little and the couple times that i have floored it, i can feel the cam kick in at just about four grand! Its very noticeable, i love it!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I ran mine once with an open 6-1 header. WOW was that loud! It sounded mean as ****, but it was too loud to run for more than a minute or two at a time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The one time i ran with a 6-2 header and no Y pipe, i had a bent exhaust valve on #6, so a large flame was shooting out of one of the exhaust pipes. That was m.f.ing LOUD.
It did bring the neighbors over, even though we only ran it for a couple of seconds. they were none too pleased, but neither were we.

The next time that car was driven, my friend pulled it out of his driveway, the new exhaust got caught on a lip on the sidewalk, got ripped off the car and he ran it over.

come to think of it, every project with that car was a comedy of errors and bad luck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I put the L28 engine in my 240 I upgraded to a 6-2 header and drove it to the muffler shop to have the exhaust system installed. I tried to keep a low profile. heheheheh

·
Registered
57 Posts
ran open headers on a 73' Mustang for over a year (daily commuter too) with a 450hp, 351c, 11.5:1 comp, and .680 lift cam. Idled at 1200

The headers ended right at my feet... feet would be numb within a minute. Other "man parts" would be numb within another couple minutes. Talk about loud though... LOVED IT! Shot flames out the headers upon throttle lift, and getting off the gas over 3000 rpm was louder then the on-the-throttle sound.

Got lucky numerous times though, all the cops were on the wrong side of an island when they would see me, with no place to turn around before I was long gone... and parked :0

Once had to shut it down at a red light because a city cop was coming up from behind (about 1.5 blocks down). I shut it down, lifted the hood and was greeted with a nice "need some help" from the officer. Nice guy, but I responded with "no thanks, I know what it is"... he drove to the left thru the intersection. Once he was thru the intersection, I hopped back in the car, cranked it up (light was still green thank god) and hammered it. Oh, he heard it alright, but I only had 2 more blocks to my destination... less then 10 seconds :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.