ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my Rotors and Pads well only one rotor how hard is it? some one looked at it and said it looked like you have to take the brake line off and when you do that your lose brake juice=) as I will put it

can you take them off with out take thing brake line off? and how hard is it?
thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I think you just take the caliper loose and hang it by a wire hanger to keep from damaging the brake line--never looked at my Z, but thats the way all others I've done work.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I need to change my Rotors and Pads well
> only one rotor how hard is it? some one
> looked at it and said it looked like you
> have to take the brake line off and when you
> do that your lose brake juice=) as I will
> put it

> can you take them off with out take thing
> brake line off?
You do not have to remove the brake line when changing any of the brakes or rotors. When you remove the two bolts holding on the front calipers just take the caliper and gently set it behind the strut. It ought to stay there without much trouble. It takes alot of work to fracture a brake line.
> and how hard is it?
Changing the pads on the front is not too bad. Just remove the old pads and springs, but pay very close attention to how it was setup. After you remove them you will need to compress the pistons back into the caliper. This is easily done with a twist clamp and a piece of wood. Then just put in the new pads and springs, bolt up the calipers, and make sure you pump up your brakes before you go anywhere.

As for the back it is similar except you have to use a different method to compress the pistons back in because of the e-brake.

> thanks

p.s. maybe someone will elaborate on this as i am not a good teacher

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the pads don't seem hard to change but I need to also take the rotors off thats the hard part right?

thats what I need to know how to do

·
Registered
486 Posts
Jeff,
Changing the pads is just how previously described. The rotors are very easy also. First, pry the cap off the end of the shaft and inside will be a cottor pin. Remove that, then the safety(piece of stamped metal with triangles), then the nut(sorry, don't remember what size, but not very tight. With the caliper off and behind the strut, pull the rotor stright out. Don't drop the bearings, there are two tampered bearings inside. The outside one, smaller can come out, the bigger one is inside from the back and is retained by the rear seal. Turn the rotor so the outside with the wheel studs is faced down and lay it on wood. It may have some grease on it, so don't lay it down on something you care about. There are four screws that hold the rotor on, I think 14mm, and they are fairly tight if I remember correctly. Have someone hold the rotor from turning and remove those screws. Rotor should come off, it may need a little tap with a hammer, but you now have it off. Put the new one on, in the same manner the old one came off, put screws in and torque to haynes manual specs. Now, do not touch the new rotor with greasy hands. You can replace the front bearings now also if you want. I cleaned mine up with solvent and repacked. Repacked, not just covered in grease! If you do not know how to pack bearings, ask, they are easy. Reassemble, it helps to have clean hands lift the rotor on the spindle, then you put the bearing, washer, and nut on. I do not know if there is a spec for the torque of this nut, but it is not very much. I do it by feel, very hard to explain how much though. Maybe someone can tell you about that. Put safety on, cotter pin(do not forget this, if the old one breaks you can get a new one at any auto stores, very cheap. Wire also works but not recommended. Put the cap on, caliper, and tires and you are done. They are right, no need to disconnect brake line.
Hope this helps, sorry it is so long.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

two days ago I wanted to do them because it was 70 out side but I had to work.... so today is a good day to do them but its 35 out side!
well its getting late so tomorrow sounds like a good day its going to be 40 I think...

Thanks

Jeff 280ZXT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.