ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to know what sound the brake wear sensors on the Z31 makes (if any)? I KNOW that my brakes are due; not imminently due but due none the less. Im getting a sort of pulsating grind as the left/rear wheel turns; like something is catching on the way around but this sound stops when I apply the brakes. It only does this on one side. As far as I know a completely worn brake pad will only grind when the brake is applied? Im thinking that this could be the brake wear sensor telling me it's time to change them out? I've only noticed this just recently; I havent had the wheel off yet to check if there is a rock or some crud stuck on the pad causing the sound but I figured I'd check in with you guys to see what you think. Im hoping that simply changing out the pads will fix her up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would take the wheel off and find out what is going on down there.
Thats not the sensors squealing... thats something else you need to pull off the tire and find out what is making that crazy noise

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off the rear left wheel; and found nothing obvious (although I dont really know what im looking for) there was nothing stuck in there or anything from what I could see. I jacked up the front left side also and rotated the wheel by hand and I didn't hear the noise then either. I am hoping this IS the brakes because I know they're due; but I cant see anything in there that could create that sound besides worn pads.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It might just be the dust cover rubbing the rotar as well maybe look to see of the dust cover on the back side of the rotar is hitting it rotar at all
what you discribed doesnt sound like pads

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this on the web and I think this sounds like it:

Rhythmic noise might mean you have a warped rotor. Instead of a solid squeaking noise, it pulsates. In extreme cases, the brake pedal will also pulsate underfoot.

That's the sound I get; warped rotor... That cant be good lol :(

·
Registered
793 Posts
No thats terrible, you need to change those out.. I didn't relize that it was pulsating like that now I see what you mean

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears to only be one wheel; I cant pin point which wheel on the left side that does it but it's limited to that side only.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/bl302a_3.htm

I did find this which suggests that a worn brake pad can also make this sound; at the most one brake rotor is warped along with all my brake pads needing to be replaced which isn't so bad because I knew they needed to be done. It does mention something about loose/bad front wheel bearings but this would be unlikely as I knew the car was due for brakes and I suspect something like that would of been picked up on the previous service when the brakes were determined to be worn.

Thanks for the input; will update this thread when I get the problem fixed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've never heard the break wear "sensor" (??) on a 300ZX. But most breaks have a piece of metal that sticks up and makes this unbearable, unholy sound. Even when your not breaking. You know when you hear it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
yes..in the some brake pads there is a wear indicator when the pads get too worn..this causes a scratching noise on the rotor..mind you...you want to replace them asap, or you will damage your rotor!! check the dust cover as well, make sure it isnt rubbing the rotor in anyway..take the wheel off again and look at the pads...i cant guarantee it, but its very likely

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback guys; I couldnt see anything obviously wrong with the wheel. I am taking the car to the shop next week to get the brakes done, and the rotors are to be re-machined aswell regardless so if there's any issue there it should be fixed up with the general brake maintinence that's being done.

I knew they were due; I was just hoping they held out until I had the cash. I have a 2 hour drive to the shop ahead of me next week so hopefully that doesnt make matters worse. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know! =( The brakes are getting a full work over when I arrive, including the caliper pistons reconditioned, rotors remachined and of course new pads so it's just drive and prey.

It's only one wheel from what I can tell so now the question is do I drive fast to make the time go quicker or go slower? lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.