ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see all these bigger rotor upgrade kits and what not, but a LOT of them seem to be so big, the caliper cant bite the wole rotor. if this is the case, what the **** is the point of the bigger rotor? am i missing something?

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
same reason breaker bars make loosening rusted bolts easier - with a larger diameter rotor, the caliper is further from the spindle centerline and thus, there is increased braking leverage.

Post Edited (Jan 30, 9:04pm)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
just spend the 2.5k on a big brake kit, and you will no longer have the small caliper issue. Just kidding upgraded rotors, lines, pads, and mcb is all you usually need for street, i love my brembos but i dont like paying 255$ for a pair of pads.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
WilWoods are cheap (seriously) its the relocation brackets that are expensive. I could put together a hellafied rotor and caliper set for about $700 but would have no way to attach the caliper.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
The bigger rotor could provide more material to heat up as well as more braking torque on the wheel if it is set up correctly.

Save your money for pads and brake fluid until you can get a kit with bigger calipers.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Don't forget the master cylinder brace. IT is the biggest improvment to braking performance second to pads. More than brake lines or rotors. For most street apps you want the one time stopping power, and not worried about boiling off the fluid.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Imagine a record player (turntable) turning at 33 rpm with a 12" LP on it. Use a finger to press down on it about 2" from the edge (or for more dramatic effect, close to the center) to stop its turning.

Now use the same finger to stop the turntable at the edge(rim ;o) ). It now takes much less force to stop it while using the same finger (caliper).

zlover57 is correct too...more material to heat up means cooler braking and therefore less brake fade.

We did our upgrade for $300. Until I'm ready to spend $1500 on the next level big brake kit, I'll live with the funny wear and spend the $1200 saved on something else. I will be painting my unused rotor band with black 1200* ceramic paint.

Post Edited (Jan 31, 5:54pm)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.