ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down an expwy yesterday in my 72 z when a van pulled in front of my as I was going 50mph. Im not sure if I would've been able to stop in time, but didnt get the chance to find out. I started to skid (not used to tht car yet, or non-anti-lock brakes), and almost immediatly went into a 180, and hopped the median, landing in the left turn lane facing the right way on the opposite side of the street! My right rear tire had been knocked off its wheel, but other than everything was fine. This was certainly one of the, if not the, most scary moments in my life. My question to you is, what would've caused this spin out? My guess is that one tire just caught better than the other, but has this happened to anyone else? I mean, I couldve been killed easily...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Ultimately the cause is driver error.

But, it sounds like your rear brakes are doing more work than the fronts. I suggest you pull and rebuild the front calipers, turn or replace the front rotors, install new brake pads, and completely flush the brake hydraulic system with new fluid.

Also, check and adjust the rear brakes. While you're at it, you might as well rebuild the wheel cylinders, surface the drums, and install new shoes.

And then go out on a rainy day and practice hard braking.

- John

·
Registered
517 Posts
My 76 did the same thing -too much rear brakes, that is. This probably isn't the right way to fix it, but all I did was to back off the adjuster on the rear brakes a tad (equal amounts to each side). Fixed! Used to be, the rear brakes would grab first, and now I can definitely feel the front grab a bit sooner than the rear.
It also has a much more progressive feel to the braking, and is more stable.
Nathan

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You should do what John told you instead. Much safer. If one or more of your brakes are engaging harder than the others, then you have a problem. You should investigate your cars braking system thoroughly, and soon.

On a side note, your rear brakes are self adjusting. Unless they were improperly overtightend during the last installation, they should both be adjusted properly.

You are more likely to find your answer by examining the quality and quantity of brake fluid (spelled have you ever flushed it?), and replacing worn and glazed brake pads/shoes. Don't forget to get drums/discs turned. This allows the pad/shoe to bed properly, giving you maximum braking contact.

Cheap fixes and brakes don't mix. After the close call you had, you know it can happen. Feel lucky?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, i feel very lucky, it oculdve ended up much worse. i took it to a local shop for an alignment and brake check today. nothing really wrong, but they cleaned lots of dust off the brakes. when it gets dry i think ill find somewhere to practice hard breaking, so i can avoid locking up the brakes next time a big van decides to pull in front of me...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Incredible.

Just remember that everyone else is depending on you to be able to stop. As important as it is to go fast, being able to stop is more important.

How old are you? 15?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.