ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75z and am replacing the brake shoes. When I took off the drum the lower return spring was not attached. I am installing new springs and the upper ones seem fine, but the lower one both left and right wheels is under no tension at all, and doesn't appear that it will do anything at all except fall off again with a little agitation. Am i not installing these springs correctly? It doesn't seem right. I have the factory service manual and the Chilton and am installing them like the picture, but these don't provide any answers to my problem. I could put the old upper springs in place of the new lower springs( These definetlyhave tension on them.) Is this a bad idea? Has anyone else run into this problem before and what is a solution?. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sounds like a problem. Ok, part of the tension involves some other hardware. The brake adjustment part, which should be connected to the handbrake control. These keep the shoes a certain distance apart. The spring should keep the shoe tight against these parts. If it doesn't, you have some bad/wrong hardware. You can order replacement hardware from your dealer, and sometimes from local parts stores. Look carefully at the FSM and make sure that you have the right parts, and in the right place. The two springs are different, so they should not be interchangable.

Is the adjustment turned so far in that the bar isn't any where close to where it needs to be? Did the handbrake work right? Is it connected?

You might be able to find what you need at a junkyard (although I recommend new brake parts, cheap insurance). If nothing else, you will see how that system looked when you take it apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The handbrake is connected and working fine. I pulled the handbrake a few times to adjust the shoes out to where they should be and the lower spring still does not have tension on it. It even bows up in the middle. Maybe I am using the wrong spring? I'll call Motorsport tommorow and ask, I purchased the springs from them.If I did use the upper spring in the lower position would too much tension cause a problem? Would this cause excessive stress on the caliper or not work at all? Thanks, Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.