ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on new brake pads, after I got them on I went to check them out and they seem to work fine except it takes a lot more pedal movement to get them working (the pedal feels real spongy). Is it possible to get an air bubble while just changing the pads or should I be concerned there may be a more serious problem. When I pushed the pistons back with a clamp some brake fluid leaked out of the top of the master cylinder ( I had filled it to full a couple of months ago to bring it from the low side of normal to full and could see where it came out of the cap so I'm sure it was just overfilled). Pumping the brakes don't affect them at all and if you put steady pressure on the pedal the brake lines hold pressure( the pedal doesn't sink to the floor). An air bubble is all I can think of but not sure how I got a bubble with the system closed. Any work I do on it has to be done in a parking lot so before I go and spend a couple hours bleeding the brakes I would like some other Ideas. Any suggestions?

Jared

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spongy brakes is almost certainly air in the lines. If you can borrow or buy a Mity-vac you can bleed your lines in just a few minutes. Have fun!

Steve G

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yep I agree with Steve here. One thing I noticed though after putting braided stainless lines on is that it's much easier to properly bleed the brakes. (anyone else noticed this?) If you want a mity-vac you can get them for about 15 bucks at walmart (if you can find a walmart that actually has one in stock) Ironically, I was at an adult store with some friends for a bachelor party gift and they were selling repackaged mityvac's for ahem "enlargement" use for 70 bucks. I think I'm in the wrong business.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Buy some speed bleeds and Bleed

your brakes yourself. Also, And anyone who isn't a gear head should read this part.... FLuid does go bad. That's right bays and girls, brake fluid brakes down over time and repeated cycling thru the heat range. You should swap brake fluid on ALL of your vehicles every two years. At the track, people will swap fluid just before and just after a day of practice laps around summit point.

Sounds like you have water (Condenation) in your fluid. Bleed it and if it doesn't go away then change it!
Mike

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It's Not my Bag Baby....

Really it isn't....
Myte Vac for a Penis pump??? What will they think of next?

I have Russel Speed Bleeds on all my calipers and they work so much better. They install in the existing bleeder vlalve hole and they are a check valve type system that won't allow any air into the valve when you open it a 1/4 turn. This allows you to litteraly do a one person job of bleed ing the brakes by yourself in 10 minutes for all four wheels and the master. And you can flush the whole system in about 15 minutes. They are sold in Summit, Jegs, and at Pep Boys! Cost is about $10 per caliper, but the time saved is worth it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: It's Not my Bag Baby....

How would you flush the system with the speed bleeds. replenish the fluid in the master until it comes out clear or flush the system until empty then refill the master and bleed. I know this sounds like a stupid question but....Also how long do the seals in a mighty-vac last.. kinda scary when you see the listing in the catalog they have the rebuild kit listed right under it

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

****, now everybody's gonna have to add "It's for my CAR" ummm..., what attachments did the "other use" require ( maybe I order the rebuild kit anyway)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

You should never let the Master run empty, and the new fluid will eventually flush the old out, per line....
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.