ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to brake hard for a padestrian today, and ever since then when i break i can push the pedal down normally and release it about 1 or 2 times then it gets harder to push down and you get the feeling like when your car is turned off and you'v pumped the brake a few times and it gets really stiff

·
Registered
20 Posts
check fluid levels, check lines, bleed brakes, test again.

With sudden braking with old lines they can bust open and get an air lock or spill fluid.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried depressing the brake pedal this morning and it's a spongy/stiffening feeling, it compresses regularily for a couple of times then it stiffens up it will get less stiff once i don't press it down for a couple of seconds but it takes to long for the vacume to be released. I checked the break lines and there are no cracks but the fluid lvl was low last night so I added some, i will try bleeding later today

·
Registered
20 Posts
check the lines from the calipers, might have blown a seal, the part where you say it takes a while to release tells me your getting air in them. Bleed and see how it goes, if it gives you more problems, you have a busted lines somewhere, the master cylinder has not let go, if it did, you'll know as it won't increase pressure on you when you pump the pedal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, this is the simplest explaination I can give you of my symptoms... When your car is off and you press down the brake and it stiffens up, it's doing that while my car is running and I am driving..

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I think chezam hit the problem: Your brake booster is dying. It is the big black thing in between the master cylinder and the firewall. Check that vacuum line that connects the brake booster to the intake manifold. If that vacuum line is fine, the brake booster needs to be replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.