ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stop lights do not come on when I press the brake. Running lights work. Stop lamp fuse is good. Any suggestions of what to look for or what/how to test? Are there any other devices on the stop lamp circuit? Thanks.

Post Edited (Apr 23, 10:26am)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
check the bulbs, then check the sensor in the back of the car. Remove that back interior panel, the one right next to the brake lights, and there should be a small box on the passenger side. You might need to replace this.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the brake switch is fine. I put test probes in place of the stop lamp fuse and everytime I pushed the brake the needle would move. Do you know of a way to test that little white box? Is that what you meant by the "sensor"? I also have a feeling this might be the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd check the brake switch by disconnecting the wires and shorting them so that the lights should be on constantly. That would take the switch out of the picture for sure. then, go from there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I disconnected the switch harness, and crossed them together with a tester. The needle went down (it was set on dcv). What does that mean? The lights did not go on. When I place the tester on each side of the fuse socket, the needle jumps up when I hit the brake.

Post Edited (Apr 27, 10:53am)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, fixed the problem. Bought a sensor from the junkard, fortunately it looked brand new, bright white case and shiny contacts! Anyway, popped it in and brake lights are back...thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.