ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put some Motul 600 synthetic brake fluid into my car but it says that it is not compatible with normal fluid. How do I flush out the old fluid and will the Motul affect the existing seals ?. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
i was planning on doing the same thing and after alot of research i was going to open all the beleeders pump all the old fluid outfill with the synth then pump all that out and refill.. there have been several tests done where they mixed brake fluid that supposedly wasnt compatable and there weere no negative results so i wasnt going to go too crazy.. and everyone also says never ever letair into your brake lines on purpose that youll have alot of trouible getting it all back out but im not worried i can get it out after bleeding it a few times.. i may even blow brake cleaner through the lines with compressed air.. i am upgrading to new calipers, master and stainless hoses too so the only thing left with old fluid will be my old metal lines(not that hard to replace)hmmm maybe ill just change everything and start from scratch..

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Can of worms potential.

I would be hesetant about doing that. First of all the only way to get all the old stuff out is to bleed it all out and then blow out the cylinders and calipers with air. If your system is old you could do more harm to it than good by doing this. Your going to stir up a lot of gunk in the braking system which will be near impossible to completely clear out. You may find afterwards that you start getting all sorts of cylinder leaks. I would just use Dot3 brake fluid for topping it up. If you ever do a major braking overhaul then you could fill the new system with the synthetic stuff.
Just my two cents worth

· Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: Which Motul?

Motul 600 Racing Brake fluid is not synthetic. Its a mineral oil based DOT4. I wasn't aware that Motul is selling a synthetic with the same name as their racing stuff.

- John

· Registered
717 Posts
Re: Which Motul?

If you want to use synthetic fluid, you should first purge your master cyllinder and brake lilnes by flushing with alcohol and compressed air. Side benefits of synthetic fluid is that it doesnt attract moisture (read corrosion), and leaks/spills will not remove your paint. Good luck with the change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.