ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well for about a month my brake light has stayed on constantly and I never thought to check what the problem was. when I noticed it, I read on here that it can mean uneven pressure in the brake lines but I didn't check anything. So friday I played with my initial timing and later that day the brakes were very weak and I had to mash the brake pedal all the way to the floor to get any stopping power. I feared I messed up something on the distributor that had something to do with the brakes. So today I drive to class and it is really bad. I'm having a hard time stopping for lights and I missed my turn and I almost rearended one person so I was like ok I'm gonna have to drive our backup car. So I come home to finish my english paper and drive back in our backup car. When I get home i'm guessing i'm gonna have to bleed the brakes or get new brake pads or something or spend $100 and take it to a brake shop. But luckily I decided to check the brake fluid first. Had to read in the chilton manual about the two brake fluid resevoirs so the drum resevior was full but the disc resevior was **** NEAR EMPTY!! So i'm like ok that must be the problem. So luckily we had some dot3 brake fluid on hand and I topped it off. Brake light went out after releasing the parking brake. Took the Z out and pumped the brake pedal a lot and viola! brake pedal has pressure again and i stop real good now better than its ever been. So I just want to say it again: Brake fluid is good :)

Post Edited (Oct 11, 1:14pm)

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Don't know where to start with this one. So you drove for a month with the brake warning light on. Excuse me but the light comes on only if resivour is low!!! Now you just topped it up and everything is fine. Well sorry to say this "its not fine". That fluid went somewhere. I would be looking for a leak in the lines or bad calipers because it will happen again. Brakes are not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks John I'll continue to review my braking system. I have noticed my brake lines to the calipers are in very bad shape and my brake pads squeal a lot. My friend is learning all about brakes in automotive engineering so i'll have him take apart my calipers and stuff as practice :)

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
hehehe not to offend but you know what they call *those* lights?

Anyway glad you learned something new and no one was hurt.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Actually, the brake light on 280s comes on when there is some imbalance in the braking system, not when the fluid is low. That's why there's a wire connected to the sensor in the brake proportioning valve (or whatever it is) directly below the master cylinder. And no wire(s) (like the ZXs have) to the master cylinder. The light in my '76 has been on since I adjusted some very loose rear brake shoes a few months ago. The car stops much better, but now I'm getting this light, which the FSM says means the fluid is unbalanced between front and rear brakes. Have not had time to chase down the prob lately, so any suggestions are welcome. My MC reservoirs both have plenty of fluid in them.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
JR

The plunger to the switch itself maybe stuck or hung up on the tappered poppet inside. Should return to a neutral or off cond. once the pressure equalizes on both sides of the poppet.

Not sure if the seals can be replaced or the unit overhauled , anyone ever rebuild a brake line pressure diff. pressure warning Sw.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.