ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
slobo7x sent me a quart (liter?) of German blue racing brake fluid. I will be having my pads and fluid replaced this week. I also have some Valvoline synthetic "exceeds DOT 3 and 4" fluid. If I don't have enough blue, can I mix the other?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i would think a quart would be more than enough to flush it, but as long as you aren't mixing dot 4 and dot 5 i'd think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yes the blue stuff you are talking about is ate super blue??, i have a catalog for hrp a company that sells racing crap , it says the super blue is dot4 and it is non silicone , be carefull with that stuff thop i have heard bad things happen with silicon based brake fluid , do you need something better than the valvoline you have that can be bought at any parts store?? , go with motul or something.

·
Registered
353 Posts
well i can buy the valvoline synthetic anywhere here in florida . but here go to hrpworld.com and order a free catalog , they got all types of great stuff , and they can even make custom stuff for racing purposes , like brakes a calipers using ap racing stuff , and they have a lerge selection of brake fluids , including that ate blue and some motul ,castrol,and ap racing fluid too.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Order another can and wait for it to arrive. If you mix the two it will lower the boiling point of the fluid to a point just above the lowest temp fluid you're using. Don't waist your time and money for a lowsy $10 or so. The can you have is a 1 liter can and you'll still need about a 1/2 liter to do the fluch correctly. I don't understand why you would spend all that money on bling and cheep out on 1 $10 can of the correct brake fluid.

Order it from HERE

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never heard of blue racing brake fluid before last week. Ballistic is coming over soon to install our new big brake upgrade and document it. I still have time to have the good stuff delivered...this is why I am asking now.

If I can't get the other liter in time, what about flushing with the Valvoline and using the hi-tech to top it off?

·
Registered
353 Posts
the wet boiling point of the valvoline stuff is 343farenheit and the ate is 396 farenheit so there is a little bit of difference, dry the valvoline is 503 and ate is 536 . i dont think thats enough to cause a downgrade onto dot4.

in the hrp catalog there is a motul 600 high performance braking fluid (non racing i guess)and the dry boiling point is 593! ans 420 wet! thats a big difference , the price is 13.95$ for half a liter , it says its synthetic so i dont think its a silicon base. they also have other racing fluid but those i think are silicon based.

they also have a whole selectio of royal purple and redline oiuls and fluids. the catalog is free and its great for reference.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Using the Valvoline 1st and then flushing it with the ATE is a great idea. The color difference is designed just for that procedure. Flush the lines with the Valvoline until you see clear at all the corners. Then flush the lines until they turn blue. That way you know that all the water and crud is removed and all the lines are filled with the good stuff.

Personally I use the Motul BPF-600 as my track fluid and the ATE Blue as my street fluid. The down side to using the BPF all the time is it absorbs water faster then the ATE. For that reason you have to change the BPF more often in order to maintain the dry boiling point. I usually do a brake flush within a week before a track event.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JT...that is what I'm gonna do. But I will get some more of the good stuff to top off periodically.

Yup, Tim...found it at the Yamaha shop.

Post Edited (Jan 18, 11:50am)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.