ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brake bleeder rounded off...

426 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chezam 
#1 ·
the brake bleeder nut is rounded off on my rear caliper. Ive tryed vice grips and they gust keep spinning around the nut making it worse. Any ideas on how to get it off? I thought about using a dremel tool and cutting two sides down flat but Im not sure how much metal I have to work with.

#5 ·
are you turning it the wrong way????? vice-grips would be my only suggestion...... since youve allready done that............. maybe ...... first hit it with some brake clean to get all the PB and oil off, then try a large set of channel locks.......... if that doesnt work try a torch and a larger set of vice grips......

#6 ·
Definitely make sure that you have hit it with WD-40 or some other rust inhibitor and let it sit for at least one night. On bad nuts/bolts I have sprayed it for several days before attempting. You don't want to round them!

Vicegrips usually work great! Especially if you use the type that are grooved for nuts/bolts. I just got over a similar problem loosing a nut while attaching the 280ZX brake hose to replace the dampener.

Good luck.

#7 ·
well I went out to try to get the bleeder off and I cant even get the wheel off. Seems a lug nut has jammed its self on the stud. Im so pissed at it right now I want to blow the **** car up.

#10 ·
when you get pissed off at a machine, you lose. just walk away from it and come back later. things will be so much easier, use your logic. get the caliper off, put it in a vice and use some heat like from a propane torch. dont heat the bleeder but the cast iron around it. use lots of pb. work it slowly with the vice grip back and forth, just a little. dont force it,be patient it will come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.