ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...my first time posting on the 240Z side as I usually hang out on the z32 one but I was working on my 72 recently....putting in a new center console specifically....I realized the old one was cracked due to the abuse from pulling on the choke cable lever. Does anyone know the best way to secure that cable lever bracket to the underbody of the car???

Thanks,

· Registered
825 Posts
There have been plenty of discussions on that, mostly started by me... search the archives for busted console, I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of info. There's a lot of different fixes for that, you'll have to find the one that suits you.

Shayne

· Registered
1,298 Posts
You need to address the cable being tight FIRST. Otherwise you will still be straining the assembly and eventually it will be your knob that breaks.

The cable needs some oiling, I recommend taking it out of the car, removing the cable from the sheath, and examining it for kinks or twists. Then get some good graphite oil, and squirt the heck out of the bottle into the sheath. Let it drip through to the other end of the sheath. Once it's pretty much dripped out, reinsert the cable and replace into the car. Make sure the cable isn't bent, or have a nasty curve or loop put into it.

If in the worst case you need to replace the cable, it is solid cable which you should be able to get from the hardware store.

The cables should be able to slide back and forth with ease, if they don't you have a problem someplace. Remember, it isn't necessary to use 50 ft/lbs of force.

THEN any repair you do to the console or in afixing the choke handle bracket won't be a temporary fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.