ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1980 280zx-needle rests @ 10mph at a stop. climbs slowly to 40,is accurate 40-50, then leaps to seventy and stays until 90. slowing, it bounces between 10-30. weird huh?

·
Registered
991 Posts
check where the speedo cable goes into the transmission; it was a little loose on my '75 4 spd and i tightened it and the my needle quit bouncing. my .02
Chris

·
Registered
571 Posts
OK, are you ready?
You need to pull the speedo out for starters.
On the rear of the speedo is a pot metal quick connector that your cable fast connects to.
Now this small root beer barrel sized thing is compression fitted to the rear of the speedo.
When it comes dislodged it can and will move a millimeter or 3 and cause the spinning metal strip to rub the copper flywheel. If this copper wheel is hit just a bit it would jump your speedo. Also understand that this copper bell/flywheel has a 1 to 2 mm clearance between the metal strip that spins around it. If anything from a Beatle or anything hindering this from spinning free will make it jump.
Now what to do? Hmmmmmmmmm…
CRC or WD40 to clean it out and if the pot metal is loose super glue the outer joint or some other super epoxy this is something I have yet to fix but if it lines up it can be loose.
Don’t get spray on the meter face, pain to remove.
And like others have said, it could be something else.

Good luck.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
517 Posts
Worn speedo consec

Hey Collins,
If your needle is bouncing around in your speedos, then it is definitely useless. Are those measurements in mm? 90mm is just under 4", BTW.
Hope you liked this one better.
Nathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.